Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,753   Online: 974

Thread: Paper longivity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper longivity

I just purchase an enlarger and it came with tons of paper. Some is quite old (not dated) but can anyone give me an idea of shelf life and if these are worth keeping
    These are in sealed boxes
    Agfa Record Rapid, Agfa Brovira Speed, Agfa Portriga Speed

There are also stacks of boxes of various Ilford multigrades mainly III and IV
    Oriental Seagull -

I suppose on wayof telling would be to try it but was hoping for some ball park figures.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Phil I have some silver paper that has been with me for more than 5 years and still shows no signs of fog. If the paper has been kept at room temp with no extremes, it should still be good. If you get a little fog, add some potassium bromide or benzotriazol and it should work. Happy printing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorge

I hope you are right. If so I have close to 5000 sheets of various sizes to play with!
    I will bare the fogging tip in mind.

Thanks
    Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like Jorge says, you should be fine for the most part if the boxes of paper were stored "properly". Of all your paper, I think the ones most suspect would be brovira since it is developer incorporated.
    That said, I sometimes use some handed down agfa rapidtone paper bought in '93 and it shows no sign of fog.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some of the old Agfa papers have a very long life in my experience, far longer than modern papers. I don't expect the "speed" papers to last particularly well, but if the Record Rapid is fibre based you could be in luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got both Record Rapid and Brovira fibre papers that are at least 12 years old. Record Rapid has not lasted well and needs benzotriazole to perk it up but the Brovira has stood up quite well.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some of my paper is upwards of 20 years old.

Some of it is still as new. some is slightly fogged, but can be used with a little extra KBr of benzotriazol in the developer. Alternatively I can consider it pre-flashed and do no changes. Some of them are great for lith printing, even if they didn't work when new.

A very few (mostly KODAK) are completely dead, and seem to have no light-sensitivity whatsoever.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Brovira

I have some Brovira grade 4 which came up from the tropics 30 years ago.
    It's still good and still grade 4.

Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all who have contributed. Sounds like good news.

I hope the Oriental Seagull lasts as well as the Agfa, as there is 200 sheets 11x14, and by all accounts this is an excellent paper.

Phill Dresser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

TEST IT

I recently ran across a nearly-full and sealed box of Multigrade in my garage -- must be at least 4 years old, probably around 7. Top half of the box: fog. Bottom half: okay-ish. Should have been in a dark place the whole time, could it have been fogged by Hawaiian weather, or... ? Hmmm. Either way my confidence is low, I wrote "Emergencies Only" on the box and put it back on the bottom shelf

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin