Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 819

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei films, great for scanning but how well do they print?

Hello all

I bought some Rollei films (80s, Infrared & pan 25)

Now my question is: How well do they print (in a darkroom). I've heard they are great for scanning, but that's not what I do...(it's only half the fun!!!!)

Any potential pitfalls regarding this film that I should know about? Does the clear base have an impact on contrast (I print on VC paper if it is helpful to my question...)

kind regards
    Ricus

Shooter
    35mm
    I've no idea how well they scan and if a clear base helps in that case. What I do know is that any film that has been properly exposed and processed will print well. BTW, films with clear polyester base may be susceptible to light piping, especially when loading them in the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mmm...pan 25. I did a fair bit of printing with this film and it worked out very nicely. I also scan everything I shoot and yes, the Rollei films scan beautifully on my Epson V500. I'm no expert so maybe someone else has a better perspective comparing results or something but I had no problems printing with Rollei films, it's as Mr.Ymous says: expose it well and it'll print fine.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They print about like any other film IME. More time = darker print, and vice versa. Higher filter number = more contrast, and vice versa. They just look a little weird, as the base material is so clear. Haven't scanned them. Also haven't had light piping. Pan 25 is a lovely film, and so is IR 400. I haven't tried the others yet. All the Rollei films are a bit spendy for me for general use. Otherwise, I'd use IR 400 quite a lot. It is great whether filtered or not.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your replies.

Ok I thought itwouldn't be an issue. But I thought I'd just make sure. The supplier I bought these from emphasized how good these films are for scanning, so I thought to myself: If they are good for scanning, would they be alright for printing the "old fashioned" way (I hate that term).
    I am aware of the light-piping issues, but thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    All the Rollei films are a bit spendy for me for general use.
    Ironically I pay less for these than I would for Ilford film (which I mostly used). The last time I bought Ilford, the shop charged me 75 rand (a little less than $10) per roll (120), where as I pay about 40 rand (R56 for the IR) per roll (with good service to boot) but the whole story regarding this is in another thread...

Thank you all again

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ricus,

Where did you get those? When I bought the Rodinal at Tothill's (which I must still PM you about!), they said it was being imported by the same guy who was importing Rollei films. I think this might bode well for Rodinal in your part of the world and Rollei films here!

Cheers,
    Hal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same guy I think Martin Zimelka - good guy (I think I'll try to convince him to join APUG )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just did some spectacular prints with the IR. I think the jazz about scanning is that scanners have more trouble with denser negatives, whereas in printing, it's just "another stop of exposure."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

UPDATE: They DO print fine

Well there are no problems with printing (better to be sure first I reckoned - hence the thread), but thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

Ricus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin