Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,511   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just want to add one thing here- I am also fairly new to roll film developing, and have been going through the same learning curve-

I tried generic stell reels- FORGET IT!!!!

Buy reels made by a company call "HEWES", Adorama carries them. Anything else is garbage and will be a total source of frustration. Get the Hewes, you will be GLAD you did!

This has been my experiece anyway, YMMV.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmm... this brings a new dimension to my confusions. Matt, so are you thing this could be because of my reel.

As I m just starting to do this, I bought a development kit made by Arista. This is all plastic stuff. Reel and tank are all plastic.

Does everyone use the SS tank and reel or is it ok to have plastic stuff?

Thanks
    Elangs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elangovans@hotmail.c
    Hmmm... this brings a new dimension to my confusions. Matt, so are you thing this could be because of my reel.

As I m just starting to do this, I bought a development kit made by Arista. This is all plastic stuff. Reel and tank are all plastic.

Does everyone use the SS tank and reel or is it ok to have plastic stuff?

Thanks
    Elangs.
    Elangs: SS vs plastic is about 50-50. It sees to be a very personal thing. I use both but prefer ss. Stick with your first choice for a while and practice with a sacrificed roll. I use mine at least monthly for some test or other (usually to check frame spacing). It must be years old!

The best thing to do is enjoy.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Loading 120 film in plastic reels used to drive me hopping mad until I found this new and amazing product....sounds like Telsell, doesn't it? It is really simple: with the light on put a piece of old film into the reel, then turn off the light and gently push the film to be developed over the old film, then take away the piece of old film from underneath. It works!
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Images
    Elangs, did you get the deluxe reel from arista? They are my plastic reel of choice. if not, I can loan you one to try out. The guides are about 500% bigger than the standard ones, makes it really easy to load 35mm and 120/220. I work in Sunnyvale, off of Mathilda. Let me know.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Brian,

I bought the Arist Primium Darkroom kit. I think it fairly has the bigger guide than the ones that I saw on the books and articles.

Its great to know that you are living so close by... Thanks for your great offer. Will try some more with mine and even if didnt work will check with you. :-).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

puzzled...

Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Loading 120 film in plastic reels used to drive me hopping mad until I found this new and amazing product....sounds like Telsell, doesn't it? It is really simple: with the light on put a piece of old film into the reel, then turn off the light and gently push the film to be developed over the old film, then take away the piece of old film from underneath. It works!
    Hans
    How can you pull the old film from underneath... I cant imagine or visualize, how does this work... Could you please elaborate a bit more...

Thanks
    Elangs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elangovans@hotmail.c
    Brian,

I bought the Arist Primium Darkroom kit. I think it fairly has the bigger guide than the ones that I saw on the books and articles.

Its great to know that you are living so close by... Thanks for your great offer. Will try some more with mine and even if didnt work will check with you. :-).
    Sounds like you have the "right ones". Let me know if you need some help, sometimes it is easier to watch someone else do it.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Elangs,
    The trouble with undeveloped 120 film is that it curls up. This makes is difficult to insert the film into the guides of the reel. A piece of old film (around 4 inches will do) is a lot straighter and easier to handle. Put this old film into the reel till just beyond the guides. Turn off the light. Slide the new film over the old, along the guides. Then hold the end of the new film (or put your fingers on top, gently) and pull back the old film. That's it really. I tried this with a full length of 120 film already developed) and a piece of guide film with the lights on.
    Good luck
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin