Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,344   Online: 812
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    blind_sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    64

    I'm going to buy some (1000ft) Eastman Double-X

    I will be starting in on my senior thesis here in MKE and I would like to use Eastman Double-X. I've read a lot about it in the last few months and have targeted it as my film of choice. Main inspiration here is Winogrand, specifically his method of shooting: shoot lots and worry about the images later. Hopefully it will end in a few handmade books of objectively picked images.

    I'm want to buy 1000ft, so I'm asking for advice and tips as to how to spool it safely into 100ft lengths to load into my Watson loader. Does anyone have any experience with this specifically? Thanks in advance!

    Bryan

  2. #2
    patrickjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    743
    I have done this before. I took a board and put two nails through it. You can imagine the rest. The spray and pray Winogrand thing I can't help you with.

  3. #3
    georgegrosu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    155
    I like more how work DOUBLE Eastman-X than Plus-X. Now I see that the negatives Kodak b&w is passed only DOUBLE X. http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...ilms/index.htm
    Eastman DOUBLE-X developed in D 96 developer gives some beautiful images.
    A longer wash (1.5 min.) after developer makes to have more halftone image.

  4. #4
    cmacd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stittsville, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by blind_sparks View Post
    I'm want to buy 1000ft, so I'm asking for advice and tips as to how to spool it safely into 100ft lengths to load into my Watson loader. Does anyone have any experience with this specifically? Thanks in advance!
    Bryan
    Should be available in 400 ft loads, which are a bit easier to handle. It works out to the same price per foot. (last catalog I have shows 400Ft at $US 140.76 CAT173 7279 1000 Ft CAT 1982511 was 351.92 with a minimum order of one rolls in each case. The price may have changed by now, and will be different outside the USA. That approch also gives you more film cans to use to organize stuff.


    Last time I did this, I used a empty 1 inch core from more conventional Bulk film for the supply side and a an old projector reel drive as the driven part. That was attached through the board to a small knob with a "spinner handle" The MP Film comes on a 2 inch core with a 1 inch hole. I also just let the film slide on a board covered with Formica, which was in it's past life a Kitchen sink cut-out for a home builders discard pile. I measured the maximum size I could fir in my loader, and put a piece of masking tape on the board and would untilI could feel the film reach my tape mark.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

  5. #5
    bdilgard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    58
    Images
    1
    I got a little carried away buying short ends and such so I came up with this to break down the rolls:

    http://www.photothings.net/page3.html

    (I've linked to this in previous threads but a some point I must have changed the page name.)
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,135
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilgard View Post
    I got a little carried away buying short ends and such so I came up with this to break down the rolls:

    http://www.photothings.net/page3.html

    (I've linked to this in previous threads but a some point I must have changed the page name.)
    i saw most of it,
    but some of it was not
    view-able ///
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,135
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by blind_sparks View Post
    I will be starting in on my senior thesis here in MKE and I would like to use Eastman Double-X. I've read a lot about it in the last few months and have targeted it as my film of choice. Main inspiration here is Winogrand, specifically his method of shooting: shoot lots and worry about the images later. Hopefully it will end in a few handmade books of objectively picked images.

    I'm want to buy 1000ft, so I'm asking for advice and tips as to how to spool it safely into 100ft lengths to load into my Watson loader. Does anyone have any experience with this specifically? Thanks in advance!

    Bryan
    hi bryan

    i hate to ask this, but how tall are you ?
    sorry ... your arm-span is roughly speaking ,,, your height.
    you might not have to respool this whole 1000 feet but
    judge how much of your wingspan is a 36 exp roll ---- stretch your arms
    cut // put in your bulk loader and wind.

    i guess it sounds like a pain, oh well ... good luck !

    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

  8. #8
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    155
    Bryan,

    I do this all the time at work. We've got an electric winder and I break down 1200 foot rolls of Ektachrome into sizes we need. If you want to pay the shipping, I'll do it for you. Very easy with the right tools. I have center core's and light tight packaging too.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  9. #9
    BetterSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,862
    I'm asking for advice and tips as to how to spool it safely into 100ft lengths to load into my Watson loader.
    Here's my advice: don't bother. Just go right to 35mm cartridges. Load a bag of cartridges at a time. There's no point to using a bulk loader.
    f/22 and be there.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by georgegrosu View Post
    I like more how work DOUBLE Eastman-X than Plus-X. Now I see that the negatives Kodak b&w is passed only DOUBLE X. http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion...ilms/index.htm
    Eastman DOUBLE-X developed in D 96 developer gives some beautiful images.
    A longer wash (1.5 min.) after developer makes to have more halftone image.
    It is not necessary to develop Double-X in D-96, I routinely develop it in HC-110 or Rodinal. Using D-96 and Kodak's recommended times yield low contrast negatives required for printing on Kodak positive stock. Any B/W negative developer will work and yield normal contrast and a 1/3 stop increasse in film speed.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin