Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,300   Online: 1207
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woonsocket, RI USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,725
    I also almost always see this sort of thing when using SS reels, but seldom or never with plastic reels. If you're using SS reels, jernejk, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using plastic reels, it could be the same thing is happening because your reels are different from mine or your loading technique is different; or it could be something else, like insufficient fluid volume. (If the tank isn't absolutely level, part of the reel might poke out of the solution, leaving underdeveloped or underfixed bits.)
    Rod Smith

  2. #12
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,011
    Images
    42
    I just experienced the same problem with my TMax 400 II. In my case, I had done a fixer exhaustion test before the devleopment. Where my fixer normally fixes the film in 5 minutes, the test said I would need at least 11 minutes to fix the film. In short, my fixer is nearly done. My conclusion: Old fixer is not effective and will not fix the edges of the film that are in contact with the steel reel.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Valley Stream, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    Aha, the reel preventing fixer access to emulsion would explain this. Since it's just on the edges, I think I'm fine.
    Sure sounds like it. I get the same thing when I use SS reels too, and one of the reasons I'm so fond of plastic reels and tanks. Don't worry about it.
    Frank Schifano

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    144
    Images
    21
    It seems yesterday was not really my day. I always put film in a light soap bath as the final step and the water drains nicely.
    Well yesterday I didn't put in enough soap or so it seems, and now my film is full of tiny spots where droplets remained. Is there a way to get rid of them?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    It seems yesterday was not really my day. I always put film in a light soap bath as the final step and the water drains nicely.
    Well yesterday I didn't put in enough soap or so it seems, and now my film is full of tiny spots where droplets remained. Is there a way to get rid of them?
    First of all, a proper wetting agent should be used for the final bath of the film, not just a light soap. Kodak Photo-Flo, Ilford Ilfotol, Agfa Agepon and Tetenal Mirasol are classic options. Now, regarding the spots, it matters a lot where these spots have formed. If they're on the base (back) side it's easy to get rid of them, if on the emulsion side, then you might not be able to fully remove them. In any case, wash again and use a wetting agent, preferably mixed with deionised water.

  6. #16
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    It seems yesterday was not really my day. I always put film in a light soap bath as the final step and the water drains nicely.
    Well yesterday I didn't put in enough soap or so it seems, and now my film is full of tiny spots where droplets remained. Is there a way to get rid of them?
    First of all, a proper wetting agent should be used for the final bath of the film, not just a light soap. Kodak Photo-Flo, Ilford Ilfotol, Agfa Agepon and Tetenal Mirasol are classic options. Now, regarding the spots, it matters a lot where these spots have formed. If they're on the base (back) side it's easy to get rid of them, if on the emulsion side, then you might not be able to fully remove them. In any case, wash again and use a wetting agent, preferably mixed with deionised water.
    What he said. PhotoFlo et al are very cheap and a bottle lasts forever. If your black & white photos are of any value, and I assume they are, then use them. [Color uses stabilizers and PhotoFlo is not to be used.]

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  7. #17
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,172
    Images
    291
    Absolutely back this notion. I have used Sprint 'End of Run' for a good long time now with excellent results. No drying marks whatsoever, and I have tried it in regular tap water from two different water taps, distilled water, and Brita-filtered water. All works like a charm. And it's inexpensive too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    What he said. PhotoFlo et al are very cheap and a bottle lasts forever. If your black & white photos are of any value, and I assume they are, then use them. [Color uses stabilizers and PhotoFlo is not to be used.]

    Steve
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Downers Grove Illinois
    Posts
    1,050
    Keep the film loose on the reel.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Valley Stream, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,216
    That would work, but how would you do that? No, I'm not being facetious at all. Film has a natural curl to it after it''s been rolled up tighly in a cartridge for a while and wants to spring out to the edges of the spiral. AFIK, there is only one way to load the reel and however it falls, it falls.
    Frank Schifano

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,769
    After walking film onto a SS reel the emulsion side will be pulled against the reel. This not what you want. You need to push the end of the film slightly in toward the reel. This will push the film backing against the reel rather than the emulsion side. This should resolve the edge problem.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin