Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,060   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Adjusting fim development - by time or by developer concentration?

Hi, For a while I've been using DDX on my FP4, but, finding that Ilford's times and concentrations massively overcooked my negs, I reduced each by 10 to 15%. This gave me negs that I was satisfied with.

Now I'm sure that I'm not alone in thinking that DDX is mighty expensive (following Ilford's guidelines I would be looking at around £1 per roll of 120 film), so I've just started on my first box of ID11 and used it 1:1 for 11 minutes, as prescribed. Result: very nice, but again very overcooked.

So, I know that I need to adjust my development down.

My question then is really a general one - I want to understand the relationship of the concentration of developer to the final quality of the developed neg. To put it another way if 10 seconds at 1:1 gave you the same neg. density as, say, 15 seconds at 1:2 (just for the sake of argument) would we see the same quality of neg, and, if not, what would the likely differences be?

Many thanks for your musings

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Time would be my first adjustment. If the mix ratio is tampered with you run the risk of a lack of developer in the solution. You want there to be sufficient chemistry to react with the film. Research that first before changing your mixing ratio.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Changing development time is the most common way of manipulating your film's contrast, but you can do it with dilution at fixed times as well. There just isn't nearly as much published information on doing this, so you will have to experiment (and then let us know ).

One guy figured out exactly how HC-110 dilutions affect contrast at a fixed development time. I read about it here on A.P.U.G. some time ago. I don't remember the guy's name, and I have never used his technique, but I remember the chart showing contrast with dilution at 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, etc., and results similar to changing development time. I don't think there is any reason that similar results could not be obtained with any b/w developer.

I am curious to try the technique with E-6 first developer more than with b/w film, personally. Possibly C-41 too, though from what I have read, it seems like a more sensitive process in regards to tweaking development.

With a fixed development time, I doubt you'd see much difference in the qualities of the images at different dilutions unless you got to extreme dilutions in which the developer simply runs out of gas before it can develop the film. In these cases, you'd likely have the most exposed areas suck up all the activity from the developer before it fully develops the rest of the film.

OTOH, when using different dilutions at different times to achieve the same contrast on two rolls of film, there are differences. For example, I notice more grain when going from HC-110 at 1:31 to 1:63 and developing for the same contrast.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-23-2010 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time is the easiest route to go. If the developer you are using is too expensive, use a different one. ID-11 / D76 are inexpensive developers that will serve you well.

In a much simplified manner - exposure determines shadow detail, and development determines highlights. Work on getting your shadow details correct by varying exposure. When you have that aspect of the process under control, change development time until you have negatives that look good from deepest shadow to the most intense highlights.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Changing dilution ratios can do more than just change development times and/or affect the appearance of the grain structure. I've seen charts done by Kodak, presumably from data they generated in their labs, showing that while you can obtain the same contrast index (or at least darned close to it), the shape of the curve is changed slightly.

See pages 9 and 10 of this document, pages 14 thruogh 18 of this document, pages 17 through 15 here, and page 8 on this one.
    Last edited by fschifano; 08-23-2010 at 12:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed no mention of adjustments for temperature. In my personal adventures I found that the proper time adjustment for the developer's temperature makes a world of difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,
    For what it is worth I got into a terrible muddle earlier this year with dev times/dilutions and ISO ratings.
    After some advce here I bit the bullet and went back to real basics of starting with the box peed of the film, quoted dev times and then using these as a base point could establish my preferred ISO and preferred dev time for how I like to print. This combined with the d-max print test has done a lot for the understanding of how to get to where I want to be.
    It is slightly tedious, without taking notes at all steps is fairly pointless but the whole process can be useful.
    I used to dilute ID11 at 1:1 (or 1+1, depending if the dilution thread has been read ) but use stock until I have the time to do the tests on diluted dev - it is my understanding that dilute dev will alter the curve characteristics of a film but a reduced development will compress the curve. A subtle distinction, but might be wrong here.

Embrace the test, or just let it all hang with the wind! Choices, choices, choices!

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This subject is sufficiently complex to fill a PhD thesis. You will quickly face issues such as 'min required development agent', 'acceptable gradation change', 'highlight starvation' and others. Once you figured it out, don't add an additional roll of film or you have to start all over. I tried this once, and it took me days to get the knot out of my brain.

I suggest to stick to one dilution, covering at least N-2 to N+2, and conduct a proper film test ala Phil Davis, requiring no more than six rolls of film. That's all it takes and is far more efficient than years of trial and error.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for all the replies..

I completely appreciate that the simplest answer is to change time (using the same dilution - oh, and I always use a constant 20 degrees C), but I suppose that I'm after a (relatively) simple executive summary of Ralph's PhD thesis on how dilution affects the neg.

For instance Ilford give these three options for FP4 (at ISO125) souped in ID11: 8.30 in stock, 11 at 1+1, or 20 at 1+3. They say that "best overall quality" is to use stock. All these three dilutions will have "min. required development agent" no doubt. By the way, I think that using stock ID11 makes it about as costly as DDX.

I think that I'm going to have to dust off a few books and start to understand the curves that have been helpfully linked to above but, in the meantime, if anyone has that summary of Ralph's PhD thesis......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    This subject is sufficiently complex to fill a PhD thesis. ... I suggest to stick to one dilution, covering at least N-2 to N+2, and conduct a proper film test ala Phil Davis, requiring no more than six rolls of film. That's all it takes and is far more efficient than years of trial and error.
    I'm reminded of an old saying that two years of research can save a whole day at the library.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin