Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,144   Online: 1160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Comments on Ilford Delta 100

I accidentally purchased a 25 sheet box of Ilford Delta 100 recently. I had intended to purchase a Polaroid B&W film for proofing, but I must have pushed the wrong button. Anyway, since I now have the film I thought I would give it a try and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately, I haven't shot B&W in many years. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Robert, I shoot Delta 100 in 120 roll and 4x5. It is a nice film that works well for me in Rodinal, PC-TEA (Gainer's Phenidone/Ascorbic Acid developer) and Pyrocat-HD. It has been reported by others to work well in the Ilford Developers and D76.

Delta 100 does not respond well to N+ and N- development. If you are into that mode of photography, you would be happier with Ilford FP4 or Efke 100 IMO.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Delta 100 does not respond well to N+ and N- development. If you are into that mode of photography, you would be happier with Ilford FP4 or Efke 100 IMO.
    I probably should have pointed out that I don't have the facilities to do my own development, so I will be sending it out for developing. That means I won't be doing any N+ and N- type of development.

Thanks,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I probably should have pointed out that I don't have the facilities to do my own development, so I will be sending it out for developing. That means I won't be doing any N+ and N- type of development.

Thanks,
    Robert, in that case I would look for a lab that processes in Xtol (closest commercial developer to Gainer's PC-TEA). Just my personal preference.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Robert, in that case I would look for a lab that processes in Xtol (closest commercial developer to Gainer's PC-TEA). Just my personal preference.
    I agree. I develop mine in XTOL 1:1

Jim

PJC

Tom Hoskinson wrote: "Delta 100 does not respond well to N+ and N- development. If you are into that mode of photography, you would be happier with Ilford FP4 or Efke 100 IMO."

Hi Tom, I agree that Efke 100 and FP4+ are nice films, but I'm surprised that you have not found Delta 100 responsive. I really don't use Delta 100 too much any more, but I used it extensively a few years ago. In Xtol, D-76 and Pyrocat HD I was able to get negatives for which ever process I was planning: conventional silver printing, or any of the alt process I do (Albumen, Van Dyke, Kallitype and Pt/Pd.)

I have a 30x40 print that was made from a Xtol developed 4x5 Delta 100 negative. Everyone that sees it is amazed by it, because it has the complete range of tones, wonderful shadow & highlight (snow) detail and you can put your nose to the print and there is no hint of grain.

Delta 100 is a very nice film, don't hesitate using it.

Regards, Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PJC
    Delta 100 is a very nice film, don't hesitate using it.

Regards, Pete
    Yes, it is a nice film. But in my experience, not with extreme SBRs and Azo contact printing.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Tom,

I am curious that Delta 100 did not respond well for you with N+ and N- development. I don't use this film but I have tested it, in Pyrocat 1:1:100, and the tests indicate that it responds even better than FP4+ and Efke 100 to expansion and contraction development.

Wonder why are experiences are so different?

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given the hassles of being in Hawaii, you're probably stuck with Xtol anyway. 1+1 and slightly dwindle the agitation towards the end of the cycle...

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

PJC

Sandy King wrote: "Wonder why are experiences are so different?"

That's my experience and question too. Tom, I've also used Delta 100 to create AZO prints on G2 paper under low and high contrast conditions. Curious, what developer you were using with Delta? Weird.

Regards, Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin