Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,733   Online: 949

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We have one bathroom in our little Manhattan apartment, so I wheel my enlarger in and out, bring trays in and out, etc. The more I do it, the more efficient the setup gets. I've used shared darkrooms, but I prefer to have control over the chemistry, to be sure everything is clean, and such.

Images
    When you rent a lens, you take it with you and use it when you want it, even if it is 3 o'clock in the morning. I always had my own darkroom, even if it was a walk-in closet without running water. For a while, the upstairs bath in my home was "bath by appointment only" for the other 7 members of my family. I am by nature a night owl as I implied above, so there was not often a conflict, but I do remember some screams of anger from one of my daughters early i the morning after I had left prints washing in the tub.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do a simple Google search: "The Tragedy of the Commons"

It applies to community darkrooms too.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got started on a college evening course in their darkroom...

The kit had all been "studented", the safe lights weren't and there was no provision for FB work at all. Towards the end I was lugging my own contact frames, easels, timer, lens, finder, etc., etc. into the college for each session and, because of the safe light problem, was still getting very poor results.

The only thing I *did* get out of it was a regular three-hour period every week when I would always have a darkroom session. I miss that...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The one time I've been in a communal darkroom ( I was giving a quick introduction to "advanced" printing), I brought my own enlarger. I figured that was the safest way to be able to show how to go from raw print to real picture in two hours. Then I wouldn't have to waste time trying to adjust the enlarger, clean the lens, adjust the enlarger, find the exposure, adjust the exposure, firnd the filter settings, adjust the settings, adjust the exposure and so on.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

When I was young and single, this dilemma posed itself in another form. For me it was should I get married or should I just continue to use hookers. Now using hookers definitely has it's advantages- you only have to have them around when you want them, you share the cost for their upkeep with a number of other renters, you don't have to meet their parents etc.

On the other hand having a wife, means that you don't have to wander out in the middle of the night when you wish to use their services, they are relatively well looked after because they don't become worn out or broken from too many renters, you don't have to adjust to the design or equipment over again as they have become familiar, and they often have other uses as well.

So when one weighs all the pros and cons. (sorry) One probably comes away with the opinion that a wife is preferable to the rental and has many more years of service.

Just one mans opinion

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Analogies...

Darkrooms and ladies of the night...I never would have put the two together.

Michael: Point well made (like a two x four to the forehead).

So, if I get this right...Both have their good attributes, but anyone serious about what their doing would stick with the later and not the former???

Joe
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not to sound too selfish and mean, but having my own darkroom means not having to share with anyone else. Not having to share their chemical spills, not having to share the equipment they break, not having to share the mess they make, etc.... And on the flipside, if I make a mess of my darkroom, I can leave it messy without worrying that I'm bothering someone else. It's my very own space, and that means I can personalize it to suit my work the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can wear or not wear what I want in my own darkroom. It also doesn't bother anyone else if I fart and pollute the atmosphere.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I can wear or not wear what I want in my own darkroom. It also doesn't bother anyone else if I fart and pollute the atmosphere.
    [size=7]OMG![/size]
    hi!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin