Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,106   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, Slavich unibrom is one of the best value for money papers available today. It's super cheap from Freestyle. Enjoy.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Salvich Unibrom is not 'super cheap' over here and has to be ordered in from Germany www.monochrom.com - I picked up a pack each of grades 2, 3, and 4 in gloss about a while ago but found that quality control was not up to much. Perhaps I should revisit the paper as only one grade pack was affected by grey fogging if I recall correctly.

See: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...-features.html

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Visually, pretty much what Ian said.

I have lost this mail twice:it just keeps dissapearing during the composition; this time I am composing off APUG and will just paste it (t)here now:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My skin crawls when density and tone are described with words rather than hard data or the actual images themselves. I don't mean to be provocative, I am sure I am guilty of this too! But seriously folks, Who describes... Who proudly produces... paper described best as: having inferior, shallow blacks with poor shadow tones?

Which company's products are we dissing?

Please keep in mind I am not trying to start discord, I just find the staus quo rather ludicrous.

(That said, MY mental image of Brovira is also as described....)

----
    And it's no, no, no no nobody's fault but ... "Blind" Willie?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    I don't think I was saying MCC is a replacement for Brovira Ian, or for any other paper when it comes to it. (Once a paper is gone, it's gone, time to move on to another.)
    But.... if you like deep tones and the ability to move it to colder tones, it is well worth checking out. Interestingly, even though I find the Adox emulsion very similar to the Agfa MCC emulsion, the fact it's on a whiter base makes it, (for me at least), a different paper. Would be nice though if it came in boxes of 50 as well as 25!
    Every time I find a paper I really like it either changes or gets discontinued

I used Record Rapid for sometime, but Agfa took out the Cadmium making it less flexible, then laterreplaced it with MCC. I also used Brovira Speed and Portriga Speed (RC version of Record Rapid).

Have to agree Mike, you have to work with what's available, I switched to Forte Polywarmtone only for that to go as well, I think I've enough left for the two exhibitions booked for next year.

I prefer a whiter base which was why I didn't switch to Multigrade Warntone FB with it's sickly off white base after Agfa's pull out, but that's now changed to a whiter base as well so it's time for some testing before I stock up again.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a coincidence, I printed yesterday some things on Brovira Speed. What about Foma papers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might be worth trying the current Oriental papers. I used to use the old Oriental papers, Brovira, and then Kodak Polymax fine art (also no longer available). For neutral-cold tones I have settled on the new Oriental papers, which I find are the closest thing in tonality to the older papers I just listed. They produce the rich shadow tones and deep neutral blacks I liked so much in the old papers. They are also very consistent.

Processed in Dektol, they are neutral, but I tone them in Selenium and depending on the dilution tone quickly moves to a colder, almost blue-black. You have to watch this carefully and use a higher dilution than I would have normally expected, as the shift is substantial. For example in a 1+10 dilution of Kodak Rapid Selenium, the shift to cold black occurs in only about 60-90 seconds, with enhanced d-max. Thereafter the color continues to shift to a more purple tone I don't care for. So if you're after cold blacks with good dmax, I'd suggest trying a more dilute solution, say 1+20 to 1+40 and longer toning times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin