Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,057   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa Brovura substitute???

Looking through a box (500 sheet film box) of 30ish year old prints and I noticed a few from the mid 80s that really stood out from the rest of the pile which was 99% Kodak Poly RC.

IIRC, the prints in question were done on an AGFA paper called Brovura (SP?).

Anybody have an idea about a current paper that would approximate the look of the old AGFA stock?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any chance you could give a visual sample of how they differ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brovira was an Agfa FB paper quite cold toned with excellent deep blacks & rich shadow tones. I have a swatch of all the 80's Agfa papers back in the UK, there was also Brovira Speed an RC version, which was much punchier than the Ilford & Kodak RC equivalents. Kenthene, the Kentmere RC paper, gave similar deep blacks.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Adox MCC developed in a cold tone developer gives a really strong, deep, cold black on a white base. (Selenium will shift it colder.) Being based on Agfa MCC, it's almost a relative of Brovira!
    Just found this link on printing for Avedon using Brovira.
    http://lifeslittleadventures.typepad...we_did_it.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Visually, pretty much what Ian said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Visually, pretty much what Ian said.
    MCC whether Agfa or Adox isn't that close to Brovira unfortunately.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly, the Avedon over-exposed and over-developed negatives was a technique that another thread here about Ralph Gibson talked about.
    He used Tri-X and Rodinal, though.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brovira was Agfa's bromide cool tone paper. It was also the coolest toned bromide paper available at the time. It's long gone, but a good alternative is the Slavich unibrom gradepaper. Unibrom is now currently the coldest toned bromide graded paper available today. It's not identical, but close
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    MCC whether Agfa or Adox isn't that close to Brovira unfortunately.

Ian
    I don't think I was saying MCC is a replacement for Brovira Ian, or for any other paper when it comes to it. (Once a paper is gone, it's gone, time to move on to another.)
    But.... if you like deep tones and the ability to move it to colder tones, it is well worth checking out. Interestingly, even though I find the Adox emulsion very similar to the Agfa MCC emulsion, the fact it's on a whiter base makes it, (for me at least), a different paper. Would be nice though if it came in boxes of 50 as well as 25!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Slavich sounds like a good starting point. I really loved that deep black cold toned look of the Brovira but alas, the job at the time and the demand for prints as quickly as possible kept me from printing as much of it as I wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin