Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,306   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Richard J Henry suggests D-72 1+1 as a good general standard, but I have found lower contrast options helpful when printing on Ilfobrom Galerie. Whats' your view on contrast control via developer with variable contrast papers?

Tom
    Tom, I use the same developer controls with VC papers as I do with Graded papers, to a lesser extent for controlling overall contrast but to control shadow detail and image colour.

Some papers are more amenable to development controls than others, the Foma paper I've used is very flexible and so responds well, I may switch to it when my Polywarmtone runs out.

Developer controls are important, Ilford used to suggest Dr Beers variable contrast developer in the datasheet for Galerie. It's also why Kodak made three paper developers Dektol, Selectol & Selectol Soft, ranging from a contrast developer to a soft working developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Tom, I use the same developer controls with VC papers as I do with Graded papers, to a lesser extent for controlling overall contrast but to control shadow detail and image colour.

Some papers are more amenable to development controls than others, the Foma paper I've used is very flexible and so responds well, I may switch to it when my Polywarmtone runs out.

Developer controls are important, Ilford used to suggest Dr Beers variable contrast developer in the datasheet for Galerie. It's also why Kodak made three paper developers Dektol, Selectol & Selectol Soft, ranging from a contrast developer to a soft working developer.

Ian
    Any reason for working with the Foma 111 VC paper over MCC? - Last time I checked, the foma products are not always cheaper than competitors.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Any reason for working with the Foma 111 VC paper over MCC? - Last time I checked, the foma products are not always cheaper than competitors.

Tom
    Just fancied trying it, and found I really liked it, but I'm not using it for my exhibition sets. I prefer not to mix papers and still have quite a bit of Polywarmtone left. However I'll not commit to a new paper until the middle of next year so will try a few first, hopefully Mirko might have Polywarmtone back in production by then.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 50 sheet box of Polywarmtone 9 1/2 x 12" that I'll have to try and make good use of.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin