Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,842   Online: 879

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Pyro-TEA developer

Being curious about Pyro-TEA dveloper, could someone share his experience about it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jay,
    Do you use P-TEA one shot or can you reuse it for a while?
    juan

Images
    The Pyro-TEA is a concentrated stock solution of long storage life. Dilute it 1+50 or so with water to get the working solution. Jay can and probably will tell you more about practical use than I can, even though it was my idea.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jay, I'm curious about your findings on the activity level of the Pyro-Tea formulation. I've been using ABC for large format with azo and have found it to be a bit too active with the slow film I'm using. Sulfite to sulfate, low film speeds and a general P.I.T.A. compared to PMK come to mind. With the dilution you have been using, how does it compare to a more common developer (one you normally use and can compare from your data) with respect to times. It sounds like a decent developer and I have more pyrogallol I can use to give it a try. Thanks, tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm coming in late here with a dumb question: What is TEA?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I'm coming in late here with a dumb question: What is TEA?
    Triethanolamine.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Patrick could probably tell us exactly how much film 1 gram of pyrogallol can develop in 10ml of TEA, but I can't.
    I would estimate that you could get about 4 sheets of 8X10 film from a liter of a developer that contained one gram of pyrogallol, but only if you developed all of the sheets at the same time, or at least split the liter into two parts and develop the films two and two.

The literature and my own practical experience indicates that when pyrogallol is the only reducer in a developer effective film speed is low and the grain is very large. I would be almost certain, without ever having tried it, that the effective film speed of Pyro-TEA is significantly lower than that of developers like PMK, Pyrocat-HD, WD2D and Rollo Pyro. How much slower will depend on film but 1/4 to 1/2 stop less is not unusual for ABC and I would suspect the same for Pyro-TEA.

I would also expect that the Pyro-TEA would produce a lot of stain. Could someone who is using it comment on this. ABC with no sulfite is a very different developer than ABC with a little sulfite added.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    May I know the formula of the Pyro-TEA developer? And some developing times for the films that Pyro-TEA users have experimented? Could be good to have a basis to start the thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This just proves my ignorance in chemistry, I was going to ask if he uses Lipton or some other brand and how many tea bags/leaves per liter do you use.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ongarine
    May I know the formula of the Pyro-TEA developer? And some developing times for the films that Pyro-TEA users have experimented? Could be good to have a basis to start the thoughts.

P-TEA Stock solution (Gainer)

TEA ------------------------ 100 ml
    Pyrogallol ----------------- 7 grams

Dilute 1 + 50 (with water) for use

I haven't done enough testing with P-TEA to recommend times and temperatures. Hopefully, either Jay or Pat Gainer will respond.

A developing time guess for TMY is 10 min at 70 F with 10 sconds of agitation per minute.

A 0.1% sodium sulfite solution can be used (instead of water) to prepare the developer if you want a non-staining result.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin