Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,563   Online: 1120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

5x7 film recomendations

I have been shooting 35mm and med format for awhile, but am new to LF. I would like to know if anyone else shoots 5x7, what films they recomend, and the best sources to purchase the film. Please help. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who stocks 5x7 film, other than B&H.

Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    While I don't use 5X7 (4X5 and 8X10), I like Efke PL100 developed in Pyrocat.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi mark

i have a 5x7 and use it pretty often. you might look into films from j&c, fp4 lookalike film from photowarehouse and there is a guy on ebay (mrfoto1) who sells plus-x aero film. i recently bought a few spools of the aero film and it is being cut down for 8x10.

i don't shoot color with my 5x7 but i know of people that buy 8x10 chrome film from freestyle and cut it down to 5x7 in their darkroom.

good luck!

-john

B&H, Adorama, Calumet all stock 5x7 black and white. Badger Graphic stocks all the usual B&W and a good range of color neg and transparency film.

People have very strong opinions about film choice. My personal favorite is Tri-X 320 in Pyrocat HD. A good, strong image with lots of local contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot 5x7 b&W and my current sheet films are all from J&C. My primary film is Efke 100 and I also shoot J&C Classic 400 and Efke 25. I develop all of it in Pyrocat-HD.

Click on the APUG J&C Photo button.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    I'm shooting HP5+ from 35mm to 8x10. Great thing about Ilford is that they have all sizes without special ordering. Freestyle Sales is a great source on the West Coast (US).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be doing some shopping soon.

One more question: has anyone used extremly slow speed films like the Efke 25? If so, What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakerguy
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be doing some shopping soon.

One more question: has anyone used extremly slow speed films like the Efke 25? If so, What do you think?
    Yes, as I mentioned previously, I shoot 5x7 Efke 25 and develop it in Pyrocat-HD. It is a very sharp, fine grained film - and unforgiving of exposure errors.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Ilford FP4+, EFKE PL100 and PL25, MACO UP100+ and a little HP5+.
    I have also used Tri-X, AGFA APX100 until it vanished, and various versions of graphic film.

My main problem seems to be to get films that are slow enough for my taste.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin