Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,524   Online: 1045

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ethol LPD Questions

I got a can of LPD powder today.
    The can is to make 1 gallon concentrate. i plan to dilute it 1:4 or 1:3

A few questions, sorry for some of them being dumb.

- How long LPD stock keeps (in smaller airtight bottles)?
    - Would it make any difference if I make 1l stock (using 1/4th of the can contents)? instead of 1 gallon?
    - The can has to be opened with a can opener, I was planning to store the remainder in plastic (nalgene) wide mouth jars.
    - Does LPD work better using "old brown" method. i.e. 1/3 old developer + 2/3 fresh?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We use this developer every day and really like it. I would not recommend splitting the can into small units. It will keep awhile in airtight bottles, cap with Saran Wrap.
    It has a good tray life as well and depending on your work habits you could either bottle used developer or float saran wrap on top of the developer in the tray.
    You do not need to use old brown method but many old timers "salt" any and all developers.

Different dilution ratios will result in a variety of tones; ie. cold to warm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Be aware that the premixed liquid is twice as concentrated as the powder that you mix yourself. This got me when I switched from liquid to powder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mmm does that mean I could manage to dissolve all the powder into 2l?
    Mama took my APX away.....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think so. It has been awhile since i bought the liquid version as we use too much , so i don't remember the dilution ratio.
    The powder form calls for a 1:4 ratio for neutral papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Following Ann's reccomendations I prepared the whole gallon and split it in a bunch of old AGFA Multicontrast bottle I had washed and kept.
    At the end I had enough to make a 1+3 solution, which I saterted testing.
    Both Ilford MGIV and AGFA MCP reacted real well with LPD, full tonal scale, nice neutral grays, and deep blacks. At the end of the session I decided to test the effect of dilution on MGIV WT. I printed This picture twice, developed the first in 1+3 and then I put most of the working solution in the bottle and left a little so to make a 1+24 solution. I developed the 2nd print in that.

The results were almost what I expected. The print in 1+3 had a warm-gray color, full tonality. The print in 1+24 had a brown-gray color, full tonality, and was about 1/2 grade softer. Maybe I over-diluted LPD?

I'll tone both in selenium and then I'll scan them
    Mama took my APX away.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin