Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,536,988   Online: 1190

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

TEA and Oil of Olay

I read that Oil of Olay Facial Cleansing Lotion is 99 % Triethanolamine. Is that the same stuff Patrick Gainer uses for developers?

And anitfreeze exist in two color variations. Is there a chemical difference significant for developers?

Where do you buy propylene glycol? I heard it was used as a cow medication?

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    I read that Oil of Olay Facial Cleansing Lotion is 99 % Triethanolamine. Is that the same stuff Patrick Gainer uses for developers?

And anitfreeze exist in two color variations. Is there a chemical difference significant for developers?

Where do you buy propylene glycol? I heard it was used as a cow medication?

Gilbert
    Depends on if your area allows anitfreeze (propylene glycol) as the preservative in Dr. Pepper. Bet most of you haven't read the lable on those cans. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that some of the States here decided to ban its use in soda pop.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If I remember correctly, propylene glycol is used to treat ketosis in cows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Propylene Glycol (PG). This very versatile propylene oxide derivative is an ingredient in many consumer products and industrial applications including polyester and alkyd resins, paints and coatings, photographic chemistry, antifreeze coolants and heat transfer fluids, plasticizers, functional fluids, household detergents, industrial solvents, and aircraft deicing fluids. Additionally, USP grade propylene glycol has many uses in foods, pharmaceutical, and personal care products.

I buy my Propylene Glycol from: http://www.chemistrystore.com/propylene_glycol.htm
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    You can get triethanolamine from www.chemistrystore as well as propylene glycol and some other chemicals you can use in the darkroom.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    You can get triethanolamine from www.chemistrystore as well as propylene glycol and some other chemicals you can use in the darkroom.
    You forgot to add the .com
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'I read that Oil of Olay Facial Cleansing Lotion is 99 % Triethanolamine. Is that the same stuff Patrick Gainer uses for developers?'

Why assume that anything you read is true? Yes, there is some idiotic site on the web that says this product contains 99% TEA. As a matter of fact it does. TEA at 99% purity. But the amount in the product is probably a max of 5% or so.

Relative purity/impurity levels of TEA can have important effects on development. It is important to do your work with TEA of a known quality and stick to it.

You can't use face cleansing lotion as an ingredient in a film developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phooy, and here I was eyeballing some of the War Departments, War Paint. . Dave

Quote Originally Posted by billtroop
    'I read that Oil of Olay Facial Cleansing Lotion is 99 % Triethanolamine. Is that the same stuff Patrick Gainer uses for developers?'

Why assume that anything you read is true? Yes, there is some idiotic site on the web that says this product contains 99% TEA. As a matter of fact it does. TEA at 99% purity. But the amount in the product is probably a max of 5% or so.

Relative purity/impurity levels of TEA can have important effects on development. It is important to do your work with TEA of a known quality and stick to it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billtroop

What I get from The Chemistry Store is the 99% at about $16 per gallon + shipping. Propylene glycol is the same price. These are grades suitable for use in cosmetics.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Propylene Glycol (PG). This very versatile propylene oxide derivative is an ingredient in many consumer products and industrial applications including polyester and alkyd resins, paints and coatings, photographic chemistry, antifreeze coolants and heat transfer fluids, plasticizers, functional fluids, household detergents, industrial solvents, and aircraft deicing fluids. Additionally, USP grade propylene glycol has many uses in foods, pharmaceutical, and personal care products.
    Don't forget freeze conditioning in coal mine production systems and coal-fired power plants. I sell it by the rail-tanker full. How many do you want?

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin