Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,547   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Developer/Film Combination

I am about to finally make the leap into doing my own darkroom work and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on everyones favorite film and developer combinations. I understand that there are different films and developers for different situations, but on average what would be your choice if you could use only one film and one developer for the rest of your life. Basically I am looking for a good starting point.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My personal fav is Agfa APX 100 in Rodinal 1+50. Also Tri-X 400TX in xtol 1+1 is pretty nice too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stephen, in 35mm, it would be Tri-X and Rodinal, PMK, or XTOL. XTOL when I needed to push the speed up real high (1600 or 3200), PMK or Rodinal elsewhere. I could get a long just fine with that.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now I'm having a blast with Arista.edu/Fortepan/J&C Classic (all the same film) in 200 and 400 speeds with Rodinal 1:100 in 120, 4x5, and 8x10 sizes. I've also become a fan of TMax 400 (4x5) in D-76 1:1.

Depending on what size you're shooting, your choices should change. I doubt that I'd work with the Arista.edu/Fortepan/J&C Classic 400 in Rodinal if I was shooting 35mm, but my 35mm gear's not seeing much use these days. In larger sizes the grain from Rodinal doesn't bother me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hmmm....I think I'll stick with Ilford Delta 100 rated at ISO 80 and developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 14 minutes.
    It has a beautiful grain structure and superior sharpness in 35mm.

Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford Delta 400 and developed in Ilfotec DD-X 1:4. Fast enough for the British weather, enough grain but not too much, and DD-X delivers lovely crisp negs from which to print!

Images
    I, like others, have more than a favorite, but generally use TRI-X or delta 100 for film and Rodinal, D76 (or ID11) and microphen. If I should restrict myself to a single film and developer I would go for TRI-X and D76 for the great flexibility of both.

Yet I believe that your question should be interpreted as: "What do you believe is the best combo to start with?"
    If this is the question, the answer is rather different: Tri-x or FP4 for ease of process and a good tonal range, depending if you mainly shoot in low or high light (I would had HP5 but I prefer the grain of TRI-X); rodinal for its ease of use, exceptional shelf keeping, tone rendition and it's ability to preserve the grain structure of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen, will offer the same advice I was given when first starting - pick one film (I was a PlusX user, now use FP4+) TriX, HP4&5 are good, lots of film you get the point and then I would start off with D76 (Ilford version is ID11). Rodinal is my normal developer now, HC110 has not been mentioned, but is also good (the stock for these two will last a long time). Try a few rolls of your favorite film, use ID11/D76, take a spent roll of film, practice loading the reel, work out your process in your head or paper - write down how you plan each step, develop/stop (acid or water)/fix/wash/dry.

Good luck and have fun...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    I understand that there are different films and developers for different situations, but on average what would be your choice if you could use only one film and one developer for the rest of your life. Basically I am looking for a good starting point.
    I'm glad you said that you understand that there are different films and developers for different situations. For portraiture (assuming 35mm), my film/developer of choice is Ilford Pan F+ in Rodinal 1:50. When I want a sharp but gritty look, it's hard to beat Tri-X in Rodinal 1:25 or 1:50. For general use, I'd have to go with FP4+ in Rodinal 1:50 or Tri-X in either HC-110 dilution H or Microdol-X 1:3 (I'm not a real big fan of D-76). There are as many opinions as there are photographers... :-)
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to stick with one film (APX 100 last 2 years) that I bulk load.
    But I always have a couple of specialty rolls of film in my bag (D-3200 or HP5)

APX-100 looks incredible in Rodinal 1+ 50, FG-7 or Ilfosol-S
    D-3200 looks great in DD-X, D76, Diafine (1600)
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin