Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,955   Online: 1113

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

JandC Classic or Efke ?

I'm getting ready to purchase more 8x10 Film and would like opinions on these two films.

I will be developing them in Pyrocat-HD and contact printing on AZO/Amidol.

Thanks!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its hard to beat PL100 if you don't mind the slow speed. The only bad part about the film is how easy it scratches, but thats a non-issue if you're careful. If you had to go with J&C Classic then I'd choose the 400. To tell you the truth, I'd get both if you can. J&C is currently out of the 400 right now, but they should have some more in later next week from what I was told.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    I'm getting ready to purchase more 8x10 Film and would like opinions on these two films.

I will be developing them in Pyrocat-HD and contact printing on AZO/Amidol.

Thanks!

Jim
    A lot depends on what you want to do with your negatives. Classic 200 will not build much in the way of density range if you want to contact print on Azo, for instance. It will cover a normal (SBR7) scene but not much if any expansion capability.

I find Efke PL 100 a much better film for that reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both Efke PL 100 & TMY in 8x10. I prefer the look of Efke in most situations but can't stand it's reciprocity characteristics. For low light photography, which I do a lot of, I prefer TMY. A shot that would take 23 seconds on TMY would work out to around 9 minutes on Efke. Something to consider if you shoot in low light much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use Pyrocat-HD, but J&C 200 looks great in HC-110 and in Rodinal.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well I ordered some Efke PL 100 in both 4x5 and 8x10 today. Was going to order the Classic 400 too but they are still out of stock. I still want to try the Classic 400 though because that price seems great.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I printed a couple of my New Classic 400 6x9 negs recently, and they really look nice, especially the ones in ABC pyro. I also like Efke 100, but if you want more speed, Classic 400 is a nice film. I'll be ordering more in sheet sizes as I use up some of the other film I have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Well I ordered some Efke PL 100 in both 4x5 and 8x10 today. Was going to order the Classic 400 too but they are still out of stock. I still want to try the Classic 400 though because that price seems great.

Jim

J&C 400 8x10 is now in stock.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    J&C 400 8x10 is now in stock.

Great. I just ordered 2 boxes.

My order for Efke arrived today too. Thanks for shipping it out so quickly.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin