Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,395   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Printing Pyrocat-HD Negatives on VC Paper

I just tried to print some TMAX-400 negatives that where developed in Pyrocat-HD on Kodak Polymax Fine Art paper.

Not what I was expecting. The prints are "flat and lifeless". Even printed with a #5 setting it looks like it was printed at #2.

Fresh chemicals, fresh paper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use both Ilford MG and Agfa MG. Both of them are actually quite contrasty with my APX and FP4 negs developed in PC-HD.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just checked the box of paper and it says "Develop before 10-04".

Close date. I wonder if it's a bad box?

I'm going to print one of my Xtol negatives that I know prints well on it tomorrow night to see how it turns out.

I'm also going to print the Pyrocat-HD negatives on Oriental Seagull to check the results.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Have you measured the density range of your negatives?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Have you measured the density range of your negatives?
    Donald,

No I haven't. I didn't think that it would be accurate using a "regular" densitometer on Pyro negatives. My X-Rite 361T should be here by the end of the week though.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    I understand. If the paper is not fogged then the problem is probably due to the negative DR. A visual channel reading with a black and white densitometer should be near 1.05 not accounting for the pyro stain. With the pyro stain effect that should be up near 1.25

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I understand. If the paper is not fogged then the problem is probably due to the negative DR. A visual channel reading with a black and white densitometer should be near 1.05 not accounting for the pyro stain. With the pyro stain effect that should be up near 1.25
    O.K. I just measured one of the negatives with my "regular" densitometer and the DR is around .65

Looks like that's the problem.

Thanks Donald!

Jim

What's your developing time, Jim? I find that using Pyrocat with TMY in a Jobo (continuous agitation), my development times are around 10 min at 68F

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    What's your developing time, Jim? I find that using Pyrocat with TMY in a Jobo (continuous agitation), my development times are around 10 min at 68F
    Tom, are you using Expert drums? Amdhow much solution are you using? I'm 2/3 of the way done processing my pcat/tmy/jobo/azo film test. I'm doing it at 24c though. 500ml of solution.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Tom,

They where processed in a SideKick (Like Jobo) at a setting of 20rpm.

The processing temp can not be adjusted on the sidekick (the only think I do not like about it) and is set at 75d.

Processed for 10-minutes (=14min @ 68d) in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin