Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,699   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

If you were stranded on an Island...

...with a roller processing Wing-lynch and could only use two developers, and one Fix and your favourite films were all 120 or larger Tri-x, and other older style films such as Plus-x, Hp5, which developers and fix would you use and why?

You also made enlargements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm afraid I'm unqualified to answer this question, but I'd use what I'm using now.

Diafine as my developer, Macophot UP100 as my film, 6x6 the format. 9 by 9 inch enlargements look very good, tonality is great even on underexposed negs (selenium intensification helps, though). Time and temperature are not factors, so if the climate changes on the island, my negs wouldn't. Also, the inablitiy to do N+ and N- developing doesn't bother me, as I never do those anyway, and VC paper gives me plenty of lee-way on contrast.

Fixer would be TF-4, because of the shorter washing time, and independence from hypo-clear.

Still working on the paper/developer thing, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    ...with a roller processing Wing-lynch and could only use two developers, and one Fix and your favourite films were all 120 or larger Tri-x, and other older style films such as Plus-x, Hp5, which developers and fix would you use and why?
    I don't have an answer for your question, but loved the way you presented it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, if this is a tropical island I would stick with my current fave - PanF+ in WD2D+. Great, smooth tones, sharp, great highlights (really limits the need for dodging and burning) and hard-to-find grain. For cloudy days and/or islands in the northern seas - Tri X in WD2D+, or HC 110 when I want to have simpler control over the contrast. As far as fixer I'm pleased with Photographer's Formulary T-4, but would certainly accept Ilford Rapid if it was around.

Paper developer - I'm really enjoying working with PF's BW-65. It gives me good, deep blacks and has a very stable shelf life, at least in my experience.

Now where are them nekkid native girls? I want to show off my lens!

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Large Format
    TMX RS and plain hypo...I figure if I am in an island I would have plenty of water to use for wash.

TMX RS is a good replenishment developer, works good for both t grain and normal films, you can do different dilutions to change CI and it comes in cool bottles you can later use to send messages.

Plain hypo you can replenish as well, and it is cheaper than the rapid fixers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The island has a constant 68f temp....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmmm....I'd probably say PMK, if the Wing-Lynch weren't throwing a wingnut into the equation. I suppose you need something replenishable, eh? That would rule out most varieties of pyro and other one-shots and developers that are very prone to oxidation.

Probably some flavor of HC-110, I'd guess, and Acufine as an alternative for speed.

Fixer? TF-4 cuts down wash times if you don't use Permawash, but if you do use Permawash or HCA and you're not using a staining developer, there's no particular reason to use an alkaline fixer, so Zonal Pro Rapid Fixer or Kodak Rapid Fixer would do fine and cost less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no replenishment and no two or three part developers -- single shot only.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Then maybe PMK/TF-4 is a possibility. I'm not sure what happens to it with a roller processor. If the mechanics of the processor cause it to oxidize too quickly, then maybe Rollo Pyro or Pyrocat-HD would be a better choice. If you can do one-shot developers, then it's not too hard to experiment.

Images
    Forget photography. I will stick with my standard "Stranded on a Desert Island" answer of... Brooke Burke.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin