Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 763

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    why the alcohol??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiardini View Post
    why the alcohol??
    I read somewhere that it displaces water and helps speed drying. I've been using this combo for several monthe, and it seems to work well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i use a proper photo sponge to remove excess water when i hang the strips to dry which has stopped the same problem i use to have. good luck,warrenbruce

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm going to give Edwal LFN a try. Also, I'm going to make sure my reels are well rinsed after each session.

I am still curious though, since I thought drying marks would be curable by re-soaking the film. Am I wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian - your final PFlo rinse (or whatever your final bath is) should not be on a reel, but dipped "by hand", so to speak. Most folks I know "see-saw" the film in a large loop from left to right, then hang.
    I use PFlo, but I also use a graphic arts wipe called "Webril Pads", which come in a roll that will last a very long time. It's like a very tightly compressed cotton, like felt. I fold up the webril into a small pad, dip into the PFlo, and use the empty film processing tank to "roll" the excess out of it. Then gently swab (one pass, one direction) each side of the film from top to bottom, changing sides of the pad from e-side to base side. I'll use one pad for two films, turning it inside out, but more rolls than that I use another pad. I've never had any issues with this method. Sheet film I just hang diagonally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I leave my film on the spiral and soak in LFN, then give the spiral a good shake and hang my film. I rinse the spiral in hot tap water for clean-up. I've been doing this for years and haven't had any problems with spots or sticky reels.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fine to leave the film on the reel, in fact it's safer.

However in this case the OP needs to used de-ionised or distilled water for the final rinses, it's a glaring hard water issue.

BTW Rick alcohol is great for drying film but if you bathe in 3-4 baths each with higher alcohol content the last 98%+ the film dries two minutes later Getting that grade alcohol is the issue though

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Brian

I never put the reels in the photoflow.

hold both ends of the film, rocker it in the liquid, pull out in an even determined pull and hold at an angle to let water go off the film, clip and put in dryer.
    this should be a very fast and defined pull through the photoflow, I rock for about 30 seconds one roll at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Thanks guys, maybe I should invest in a dropper and just put 2 or so drops of photo-flo per roll?

And Bob, should I just be dipping in the photo-flo? No agitation? I usually leave it in the photo-flo for 30 sec or so. And you mean hold at an angle, you mean the reel with the roll on it as soon you take it out of the photo-flo?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If the marks are on the base you can get them off, if they are on the emulsion side another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I'm going to give Edwal LFN a try. Also, I'm going to make sure my reels are well rinsed after each session.

I am still curious though, since I thought drying marks would be curable by re-soaking the film. Am I wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    If the marks are on the base you can get them off, if they are on the emulsion side another story.
    A bathe in dilute acetic acid can often dissolve the calcium salts causing the problems followed by a good wash and rinse with deionised/distilled water & photo-flo.

Ian

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin