Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,507   Online: 1062

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd add another possibility which I've had here in Turkey. The water is very hard, calcium builds up in the pipes particularly the hot water to the extent that there's small filter on the end of the kitchen tap's spout that blocks every few months. The cold water only needs hot water added when mixing dev in the winter and then particles can be present in the developer and these can end up on the emulsion. They are quite difficult to dislodge & they don't wash off easily later, this caused me quite a problem just after Christmas this year.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Ok, so I'm planning on trying LFN. I've ordered some. Is the key to take the reel out of the tank when finished washing, fill the tank with distilled water, put two drops or so of LFN, mix, then dip the film? This is could have been my problem all along, as I would always empty the tank after the wash, pour distilled water in over the reel, then put photo-flo (too much apparently) in on top of that and lift the film in and out of the tank a few times. I always assumed doing so would mix the photo-flo into the water.
    With LFN you only need one(1)drop per liter of distilled water. Adding one or two drops to the tank is overkill and causes build-up. Premix the LFN solution and then it can be reused several times before discarding.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To second Matt's comment - in addition to not submerging the reels in PFlo, I also use an old chemistry flask for this final rinse, and for nothing else, and I still wash it out well afterwards. The flask has a soft flared lip at the top. I just dip the film in a long loop, side to side for 30 sec.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well I started using LFN as directed with distilled water and I'm still getting the marks. The only thing I can think of now is that when I have the negatives up to dry I run my fingers down over the roll once to wipe off excess water. Maybe I should not do this? Again it's only on the last few frames. Maybe wiping the film brings all the "stuff" to the bottom of the film to dry? Also I'm using a clothes hanger on the end, good idea or no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I started using LFN as directed with distilled water and I'm still getting the marks. The only thing I can think of now is that when I have the negatives up to dry I run my fingers down over the roll once to wipe off excess water. Maybe I should not do this? Again it's only on the last few frames. Maybe wiping the film brings all the "stuff" to the bottom of the film to dry? Also I'm using a clothes hanger on the end, good idea or no?
    This is really pretty strange. I'm not exactly careful with photoflo like other users here, but I've never had a problem such as yours. I use a separate plastic food container that holds 1L of water and add the appropriate amount of PF, stir, and feed the film off the reel and into the distilled water/PF solution. Sometimes I take it out right away and sometimes I, shamefully, forget and it'll soak for ten minutes or so and it has never caused any problems. Then I cut the film into strips to fit archival sleeves and hang each strip straight down to dry. I even sometimes use clothes hangers if I run out of steel clips, just like you. One thing I don't do is squeegee, whether with my fingers or a device.

Do you cut up the strip before drying? Maybe, if you don't, you're seeing runoff from the entire strip versus 1/6th or whatever smaller portion of the roll?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Running fingers down the roll after putting through a wetting agent will leave water marks every time in my experience. I hang my rolls still wet from the tank with a couple of clothes pins. After a few minutes if in a hurry I run a hair dryer on low setting up and down the strip till dry then leave another 10-15 min till I cut and sleeve. My negs are always clean this way assuming that my tap water is fine and only use distilled water when mixing up batch chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Photo-flo on the reels will become a catalyst and somewhere along the line will begin to cause the problems you are having.
    Never put reels in Photo Flo.
    Sorry, I just can't buy that. I've been dipping my reels into Photoflo (very weak mind you, just enough to make the water sheet off the film and no more) for more years than I care to remember. I rinse the reels off well with warm water after each use and you know what? I've been using those reels for more than 20 years. There is no build up of anything, and the reels load just as easily as they ever did. I've seen no undue processing artifacts form any sort of catalyst action either.

I have no idea of the condition of the OP's water supply. It is possible that his water supply is very hard and contains quite a bit of calcium. If that's the case, an ion exchange filter (like the Britta and several other brands) will take care of that. No need to buy distilled water. It's also possible that he's simply using a bit too much PhotoFlo. The trick to using Photoflo, or any other surfactant type wetting agent for that matter, is to use only enough to prevent the water from beading up on the film and NO MORE. Using more causes foaming and foaming leaves marks just as nicely as hard water. It's really very simple.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm rather new to developing -- just started this year -- and at first I got tell-tale marks on my negative strips, too. I stopped getting the marks when I stopped trying to squeegee the strip of film with my fingers.

I make sure to wash my film well to remove any trace of chemicals, using the "Ilford method" and then just dunking the reel in clean water many times just for good measure, then agitating it briefly in a tankful of Photo-Flo solution. I don't bother to actually mix up Photo-Flo 1+200 like the bottle says, mind you: three drops of concentrate into a two-reel developing tank is about perfect. More than that suds up too much. When I remove the film from the reel, I shake off any excess solution, hang it up, weight it, and just let it dry without any squeegeeing. If there's too much clinging to the film, I go after it with a rocket blaster before letting it dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agitation is completely unnecessary. Just dip the reel into the Photoflo and take it out. Ten seconds is plenty of time. More time doesn't hurt. Agitation can make it foam and that's not good. As far as the amount of Photoflo to use? Evidently the amount you're using appears to be just right for your water supply. The amount of concentrate necessary to do the job will vary with the condition of the local water supply. I can dilute it as much as 1+400 and still have a very effective wetting agent with my tap water.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok, thanks guys. It appears I should stop with the squeegeeing with my fingers after the the LFN. I will try this with the film from now on. It seems to be the only variable left.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin