Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,342   Online: 815

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok, well I tried hanging the negatives without wiping them with my fingers but I got some serious drying marks on the film base side, which is what I have never experienced before. I then tried again adding 2 capfuls of alcohol to the LFN. Those were better, but there were still a few spots. My next task is to try a squeegee. I think I had the right idea by squeegeeing them with my fingers. Maybe if I use an actual film squeegee I will get the results I'm looking for.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just for future reference, it's been months of trials and tribulations with this problem and finally over the past two months I've consistently been producing spotless negatives. The problem before was that I was using TOO MUCH photo-flo. My process now is to add just 4-6 drops of photo-flo into distilled water. Agitate very little. Lift the reel out, tilt at a 45 degree angle and let the water drip off. Then after clipped on the line squeegee off water between fingers twice. Then clip bottom of film with a clothespin and bingo!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I go through waves of time with no problem and suddenly gunk. I pour a little bit from the bottle which sets up a risk for inconsistency...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips! I've had these drying marks for so long, they drive my frikkin nuts! I've tried everything (at least so I thought) but at school I learned to use agepon as a final rinse WITH agitation for a whole minute. This evidently leads to foam forming which, if I understand correctly, leads to drying marks. This makes sense so hope that with this little trick there will come an end to the neverending nightmare of drying streaks on film. More apparant on 35mm then 120, which hardly suffers from that issue possibly because its surface is bigger.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're not going to believe me, but I use an old windscreen wiper blade that has been thoroughly cleaned. It's still very supple. After film processing cycle is done, and the wash, I take the film off the reel, and see-saw it through a container with roughly 16oz of water and a tea spoon of Sprint End Run wetting agent. Ten times, back and forth. Then I hang the film up vertically, clip a weight to the bottom, dip the windscreen wiper in the wetting agent, remove excess with my fingers, and run it along the entire length of the film, base side and emulsion side.
    This does not work with Foma or Efke film. They sometimes scratch, so with them I only do the base side. With any Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji film I've never had a single scratch, and the negatives dry 100% clean of any spots every single time. The only time I have to spot more than two or three spots, even on 16x20 prints from 35mm, is if I'm printing old negatives.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe you Tom! I use Photo-Flo at regular strength in the developing tank with inversions. I've never worried about foaming. I would occasionally get drying marks, but that stopped when I switched from tap water to distilled water to mix up the PF. I then follow with a film squeege dipped in PF and the excess shaken off, and the squeege closed with almost no pressure and held at a slight angle to the film. No scratches either.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    After wash, deionised water for about 30 seconds and then dry at ambient temperature. No drying marks.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I've started hanging all my films at an angle rather than vertically, it has helped.
    Roll film too?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey Thomas,
    I've never wiped of my film with a sort of squeegee afraid of scratching the film. I used to dip my fingers in the agepon mixture after that last bath and wiped off the film that way. Always drying marks.
    I've used distilled water for the agepon mix, drying marks. I've rinsed the film off with distilled water afterwards, drying marks. We have a bottle of Photoflo at work so might give that a go although I doubt it will change anything but worth a shot I guess. I'm really tired of these marks.

Squeeging...dunno, sounds a little scary to me haha but I can try on a test film. I also feel that the Kodak films suffer less from this than Ilford films but that could be me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Roll film too?
    Yep. When I do have a problem it affects fewer frames that way.

Since that last post I've also experimented with Thomas' idea but with different tools.

With my Nitrile gloves on I Squegee with my fingers before hanging, seems to work nicely. My first experiment with this was with bare fingers, there may be those that have supple enough skin to make that work but mine is not, bare fingers for me add scratches.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin