Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,290   Online: 766

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Follow the instructions for Kodak PhotoFlo or equivalent.
    Pour in the tank with the top off and leave for 30 seconds to a minute, then pour out. Exception do not put into the Jobo Expert tanks, use a plastic container instead.
    Hang the film.
    Rinse the tank and reels well with hot water immediately.
    Use a paper towel to blot the bottom edge of the film every time fluid collect while drying.

I have only been doing this for over fifty years and I have never had a problem, but Kodak PhotoFlo or equivalent should only be used on black & white film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I reckon drying marks form if the PhotoFlo rinse dries before it has had time to run off the film. This is what I do to 100% avoid drying marks:

Hang the film while it is very wet and streaming with PhotoFlo solution BUT hang it edge down at a 45 degree angle. The liquid only has to flow across the film to the bottom edge and then along this edge to the bottom clip. This takes only a few seconds, not the minutes it would take for a bubble to drift vertically down from the top frame to the last frame. Actually I do occasionally get faint drying marks but they are all on the edge of the film and never on the picture area.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If they were drying marks a soak in faucet water for 5 mins and redry should move them.
    The calcium in water supply can vary.
    My supply has solid particles.
    I use lots of washing up detergent foam it and a film squeegee only get marks very occasionally on emulsion side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Thanks guys, maybe I should invest in a dropper and just put 2 or so drops of photo-flo per roll?
    You should use the specified dilution, either 1:200 or 1:2000 depending on which version you have.

I swirl the reel(s) around in the PF for 30 seconds, back and forth, then take them out, drain at an angle, unreel and hang.
    After putting the weighted clip on the bottom, I run my (clean) fingers down the length of the film like a squeegee.

Been doing it this way since shortly after they invented light, and never had a problem with water spots.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just for future reference, it's been months of trials and tribulations with this problem and finally over the past two months I've consistently been producing spotless negatives. The problem before was that I was using TOO MUCH photo-flo. My process now is to add just 4-6 drops of photo-flo into distilled water. Agitate very little. Lift the reel out, tilt at a 45 degree angle and let the water drip off. Then after clipped on the line squeegee off water between fingers twice. Then clip bottom of film with a clothespin and bingo!
    This was my last update, but now I have even more news. While all the above is still true I was still getting an occasional streak on a roll every once in a while. I now no longer get any streaks on Ilford 120 films. The key is that now when I add 5 drops of photo-flo to the distilled water I swirl it around with a finger to mix it up. I truly believe that this, along with just using too much photo-flo is what my problem was.

I've only perfected this with Ilford films. I love Tri-x but I gets streaks almost all the time even using this method. I'm going to slowly up the drops of photo-flo I add and see if that helps. Will keep you all updated!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So... Tri-x is still giving me fits. I've even tried cutting the roll in half before hanging to dry and hanging at an angle after wiping once with fingers. I think the film needs perfectly even squeegee action or there are marks. This is not a problem with Ilford films, which I have mastered as posted above. So I've ordered a film squeegee (I know..) to try with Tri-x. I don't know what else to try. I love Tri-x but I'm frustrated at this point. It's worth a shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I've ordered a film squeegee (I know..) to try with Tri-x. I don't know what else to try. It's worth a shot.
    I use a Yankee photo sponge style squeegee (I know...) that I ordered from B+H. I keep it very very clean and dampen it in the last photoflo wash. My film dries beautifully clean.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    I use a Yankee photo sponge style squeegee (I know...) that I ordered from B+H. I keep it very very clean and dampen it in the last photoflo wash. My film dries beautifully clean.
    Thanks Jeff!! Good to know!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So... Tri-x is still giving me fits. I've even tried cutting the roll in half before hanging to dry and hanging at an angle after wiping once with fingers. I think the film needs perfectly even squeegee action or there are marks. This is not a problem with Ilford films, which I have mastered as posted above. So I've ordered a film squeegee (I know..) to try with Tri-x. I don't know what else to try. I love Tri-x but I'm frustrated at this point. It's worth a shot.
    Update, I think I've finally found a way to streak free Tri-x negatives with my water. I must have REALLY hard water. Here's what I have to do with 120 Tri-x:

1: After wash in tap water I soak in distilled water for 4 minutes, with agitation to help diffuse out the hard tap water.
    2: In 450ml of distilled water I add 4ml of Photo-FLo (Twice the recommended dilution (1:100)) and 6ml of rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol seems to be the key in this process. Using 4ml of Photo-flo and distilled water alone didn't do it.
    3: Hang to dry and squeegee with my fingers.

I also found I get more streaks with Walmart distilled water than I do with Target distilled water. There are so many variables in photography its kinda rediculous. The funny thing is that Ilford films are fine with tap water wash, then 6 drops of photo-flo in distilled water and perfect negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also found I get more streaks with Walmart distilled water than I do with Target distilled water....
    Wow that's food for thought. I'm working with calotypes that seem to be sensitive to even thinking about changing anything. I bought 8 gallons of Target distilled water but it never would have occurred to me that I need to keep using the same brand! Yikes. I hope they use a consistent supplier!

FWIW, I use 2ml photoflo to 500ml reverse osmosis filtered water and have never had drying marks on my tri-x or FP4+ 135 or 120. I use our R/O water for all parts of film developing: mixing dev/stop/fix and washing.

Glad to hear you've solved it!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin