Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,002   Online: 1186

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a way to test the conductivity of the Walmart water?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Do you have a way to test the conductivity of the Walmart water?
    No I don't. What happened was I was getting streak-free results using the photo-flo/alcohol combo on a few rolls then suddenly the streaks showed back up. I thought about anything I had done differently. The only thing was the water. I had been using target distiller water and went to walmart water. I'm not 100% sure that was it, but it was the only variable I changed! Maybe some distiller water is more distiller than others??

Shooter
    35mm
    interesting, my fix was cutting down on wash times. the marks were really bad when i washed generously. now it's three vigorous "ilford cycles" in tap, then one in distilled, then a drop of LFN per litre of distilled for one last quick dip, an aggressive dog shake and hanging. i may get a mark once in a hundred frames, but for all practical purposes they're gone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might write me off as foolish, but to avoid drying marks on 120 film I use a very soft and supple rubber edge and simply wipe off the excess.

I use Sprint End Run wetting agent, and the instructions clearly state to remove the excess wetting agent.

Never a spot on my negatives. No fancy distilled water or anything like that needed, just plain old tap water.

This doesn't work well on the emulsion side with Foma or Efke films, because they are extremely soft. Works really well with all other films (Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji).

You absolutely must keep that rubber edge clean, so what I do is wet my fingers with wetting agent mix, and run them along the rubber edge before I gently apply it to the film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Update, I think I've finally found a way to streak free Tri-x negatives with my water. I must have REALLY hard water. Here's what I have to do with 120 Tri-x:

1: After wash in tap water I soak in distilled water for 4 minutes, with agitation to help diffuse out the hard tap water.
    2: In 450ml of distilled water I add 4ml of Photo-FLo (Twice the recommended dilution (1:100)) and 6ml of rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol seems to be the key in this process. Using 4ml of Photo-flo and distilled water alone didn't do it.
    3: Hang to dry and squeegee with my fingers.

I also found I get more streaks with Walmart distilled water than I do with Target distilled water. There are so many variables in photography its kinda rediculous. The funny thing is that Ilford films are fine with tap water wash, then 6 drops of photo-flo in distilled water and perfect negatives.
    You will have less streaking if you skip the squeegee with fingers in step 3.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thomas, what kind of rubber edge? A small windshield wiper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Thomas, what kind of rubber edge? A small windshield wiper?
    Yes. A used windshield wiper works best because it has a smoother edge than a new one. But I imagine a silicone rubber edge of any type could be repropriated.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another great material for the final wipe is called "Webril Pads", a graphic arts material that comes on a very long roll about 8" wide. It is thick and soft, and free of any harmful stuff (may be cotton, I'm not sure) and is perforated into sheets like toilet paper. One sheet, soaked in the final rinse (mine is distilled water and a tiny bit of photo flo), then dried as much as you can, can be swabbed down on each side of the film after hanging to dry. Never a mark, scratch, or any other problem. And you can use one sheet for several rolls of film, a roll will last years. (I don't use them on sheet film.)

Sorry, I just realized I said this a few years ago at the beginning of this thread, oh well.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FINAL UPDATE: You guys were right, I needed to get the excess water off of the Tri-x, more than just squeegeeing with fingers. What I tried was something I had in my darkroom: PEC pads, you can see them here. I take 2 pads for 120 film and put one on each side of the film and then squeegee using my fingers as I had before, except now the pads are wiping the film smoothly and cleanly. My Tri-x negs are drying perfectly clean, and consistently. For the final rinse I'm using Photo-flo at recommended dilution. Let's hope this is the last update!!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin