Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,742   Posts: 1,515,589   Online: 907

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Drying marks with Ilford 120 FP4 and HP5??

This is the second time (that I've noticed anyway) of what I believe are drying marks on the last frame out of my Mamiya 6. I have attached a section of the negative. This negative was taken on FP4. I have outlines the marks with red.

The last frame on the roll is the frame that is on the bottom when the film is hanging to dry. What's weird is that if it were drying marks I would think you would be able to see them on either side of the film when reflecting light off the surface of the negative, and I cannot, yet when I view the negative on the light table, there's the squiggly lines.

Could this be a case of all the photo-flo and other water flowing to the bottom of the film and creating this on the last frame?

Could this be using too much photo-flo? I also used distilled water.

Can I possibly save this negative? Maybe re-fixing?

Anyone encountered this before??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drying marks.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've started hanging all my films at an angle rather than vertically, it has helped.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian,

I came across this problem earlier in the year with T-Max 400 so it isn't purely ILFORD related; however it was at a time when I experienced issues with not sufficiently washing out 'Ilfotol' (a photo-flo equivalent) from the Jobo film reels. Another issue I've seen probably attributable to wetting agent are bubble marks on the negative.

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Brian,

I came across this problem earlier in the year with T-Max 400 so it isn't purely ILFORD related; however it was at a time when I experienced issues with not sufficiently washing out 'Ilfotol' (a photo-flo equivalent) from the Jobo film reels. Another issue I've seen probably attributable to wetting agent are bubble marks on the negative.

Tom
    Tom, interesting. Are you saying that if the film reels are not properly washed after a session then the next roll loaded onto it is at risk? When would these marks happen then?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Looks like a photoflow issue to me.

dip in the photoflow and immediately hold on a angle, too much PF can be an issue as well as foam on top.

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Tom, interesting. Are you saying that if the film reels are not properly washed after a session then the next roll loaded onto it is at risk? When would these marks happen then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Probably. However these issues are rather difficult to control for since once I found the problem I wanted to solve it.

Tom

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys, maybe I should invest in a dropper and just put 2 or so drops of photo-flo per roll?

And Bob, should I just be dipping in the photo-flo? No agitation? I usually leave it in the photo-flo for 30 sec or so. And you mean hold at an angle, you mean the reel with the roll on it as soon you take it out of the photo-flo?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to worry about the water marks with photo flo and finally switched to edwals LFN. Never a mark since.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Edwal LFN and havent experienced those marks. The instructions for LFN call for one drop per liter of water. I mix one capful of 90% isopropyl alcohol with one drop LFN to distilled water to make one liter solution.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess the question really is, are these drying marks? Like I said, you can't see any evidence on the film itself, it's part of the image.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin