Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,596   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

BTZS Testing on negatives developed in Pyrocat-HD

My X-Rite 361T Densitometer arrived yesterday so I am ready to begin BTZS testing on my film developed in Pyrocat-HD. The first film I will be testing is TMAX-400.

I know that I will need to read the Pyro negatives using the "UV" mode on the Densitometer, but since I don't have a "Pyro Stained" step wedge I'm not sure how to handel the reference reading from it. (Does that make any sense?)

Do I measure my step wedge in "UV" mode also?

Thanks!

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You expose your step wedge onto the TMY (5 or 6 sheets perhaps) and then use your densitometer on the TMY (about 5 or 6 sheets developed for different times) after it has been developed in Pyrocat HD. The step wedge is not measured and hence does not have to be stained. Good luck!
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    You expose your step wedge onto the TMY (5 or 6 sheets perhaps) and then use your densitometer on the TMY (about 5 or 6 sheets developed for different times) after it has been developed in Pyrocat HD. The step wedge is not measured and hence does not have to be stained. Good luck!

Thanks Francesco!

I thought that I needed to measure my step wedge and enter the readings in the first column of WinPlotter and the program used that as a base to calculate the curve...

Or am I making this more complicated that it is :P

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not complicated at all. Contact print the Step Wedge onto 6 or so sheets of TMY. Develop each sheet at different times on PYROCAT HD. Once dry, measure each step in each sheet for density, using the proper channel to read PYROCAT negs. Input them onto the program. So, with 6 sheets you will have 6 columns of varying ranges. I have not used the program in over 8 years (mainly because I no longer need it) but I believe that this is all it needs to generate the various reports.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Not complicated at all. Contact print the Step Wedge onto 6 or so sheets of TMY. Develop each sheet at different times on PYROCAT HD. Once dry, measure each step in each sheet for density, using the proper channel to read PYROCAT negs. Input them onto the program. So, with 6 sheets you will have 6 columns of varying ranges. I have not used the program in over 8 years (mainly because I no longer need it) but I believe that this is all it needs to generate the various reports.
    Thanks again Francesco.

Attached is a screen capture of my Delta-100 film test. In my WinPlotter program when you create a new film the 1st column "Step Table" is there by default. It has "default" values in it and I assumed (I know I should never "assume" anything) that I needed to input the values from my step wedge there for the test results to be accurate.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails winplotter.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim, leave it as default. And of course follow the right order of inputting the vales. You are using the appropriate channel to read Pyrocat HD negs in order to make them (or I like to say, convert them) into apples-to-apples comparison with the default numbers of the program. Using the UV mode essentially "converts" the numbers for use with the program (this is my take on it).
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Thanks again Francesco.

Attached is a screen capture of my Delta-100 film test. In my WinPlotter program when you create a new film the 1st column "Step Table" is there by default. It has "default" values in it and I assumed (I know I should never "assume" anything) that I needed to input the values from my step wedge there for the test results to be accurate.

Jim
    Actually this question is a little more complicated than it appears because there is a possibility that readings of a Stouffer step wedge will result in readings that are different in UV, Visual and Blue mode. If that is indeed the case I would recommend using the new values instead of the default values as appropriate, i.e. values read in UV mode if working with alternative processes, and Blue values if working with silver graded papers.

However, the whole logic of this is not absolutely clear to me so I would be interested in hearing from other BTZS users on this.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Actually this question is a little more complicated than it appears because there is a possibility that readings of a Stouffer step wedge will result in readings that are different in UV, Visual and Blue mode. If that is indeed the case I would recommend using the new values instead of the default values as appropriate, i.e. values read in UV mode if working with alternative processes, and Blue values if working with silver graded papers.

However, the whole logic of this is not absolutely clear to me so I would be interested in hearing from other BTZS users on this.

Sandy
    Thanks Guys!

I'm starting my testing now. I'll do up some curves using default, UV, and Visual and post them for your opinions.

Thanks again!!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't you measure the step tablet in visual mode if you used it to expose TMY? Isn't the purpose of the 'Step Tablet' column to tell the program what relative exposure the film had?

Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Isn't the purpose of the 'Step Tablet' column to tell the program what relative exposure the film had?

Helen
    Helen,

That is my question. Thanks for asking it so simply

Jim

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin