Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,982   Online: 861

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Kodak Tech Pan Discontinued

With Kodak's plans for discontinueing Tech Pan, is there another fine grain, high resolution film available (possibly of microfilm type)? I'd be wary of relying on Agfa, eg Copex, as replacement.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where did you get the news?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Film Discussion Forum source for info. Its not official, though, since Kodak hasn't make an announcement. The thread also mentions that they are dropping Kodachrome too.
    van Huyck Photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Film Discussion Forum source for info. Its not official, though, since Kodak hasn't make an announcement. The thread also mentions that they are dropping Kodachrome too.
    Unconfirmed rumours, the kind we see every other month. Tells more about the nerves of the posters than about real discontinuance of any products.

Ignore and relax but be prepared to loose any product you like any time. This has never been any different in the past.

best

Stefan

Images
    I hadn't heard about Tech Pan, but I'm almost positive that Kodak isn't dropping the Kodachrome film (yet), just their processing of it.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Gary in Kodak's professional film department confirmed to me last week that Tech Pan is, indeed, going to disappear in early 2005. Thus, this is not an "unconfirmed rumor" and does not "tell more about the nerves of the posters" as stated above. You, too, can get confirmation by going to Kodak.com, clicking on 'contact', clicking on 'professional films', and dialing the specific number and extension for the aforementioned department.

Shooter
    Large Format

Tech Pan Replacement

Since my nerves are no longer being questioned;-), could I get an answer to my original question. For those Tech Pan users, are there any recommendations for alternative films? I've used Agfa Copex in Gigabit incarnation & like the contrast, but can not find a source for just the film. Also I'm wary of relying on Agfa especially after their removal of APX100 sheet film from the market. Would Efke 25 be a suitable substitute to Tech Pan?
    van Huyck Photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried six rolls of 'Bluefire' from Frugal Photographer. It is in the same high-resolution ball park as Tech Pan, but I found the tonality to be rather weird. The shadow detail is there (I set my meter to EI 80, as recommended) but everything below mid-tone is compressed into a very long toe.

It's a film with an idiosynchratic character.

Best, Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Since my nerves are no longer being questioned;-), could I get an answer to my original question. For those Tech Pan users, are there any recommendations for alternative films? I've used Agfa Copex in Gigabit incarnation & like the contrast, but can not find a source for just the film. Also I'm wary of relying on Agfa especially after their removal of APX100 sheet film from the market. Would Efke 25 be a suitable substitute to Tech Pan?
    My answer is a qualified yes. I use both films and find the I prefer Efke 25 (developed in Pyrocat-HD)for pictorial subjects. For astrophotography and some other technical applications I still use Tech Pan.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Gary in Kodak's professional film department confirmed to me last week that Tech Pan is, indeed, going to disappear in early 2005.
    You mean that Gary who earlier this year and under a different name spread the hot inside information that Agfa discontinues all roll films? Gary certainly won't mind to give us a written confirmation, no?

best

Stefan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin