Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,013   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Barry Thornton's shop closed for good.

I've just heard that Barry Thornton's shop will not re-open. That's a shame - but I'm sure that Barry and his developers won't be forgotten.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Helen,

I don't think anyone is surprised really. I for one am about to try Pyrocat HD and will make up some alkaline fix from scratch too so I will be able to use the same sort of chemicals. It does however mean that all I will have left will be his books, which I hope will last a lifetime. Certainly I continue to find mileage in re-reading them. Personally, I would very much like to see his original prints. Does anyone know where ther are any on display or if some sort of exhibition is planned at all (or has taken place). His work and books is where his continued influece will be of far greater benefit than his proprietary formulae; in educating technical phillistines like me! I do not wish to sound sick, but I am in a way glad that the shop will not reopen. There would seem to be something wrong with it continuing without his continued innovative input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope Kate Thornton will license or sell the formulas to someone. It would be a shame if his work in this field and his developers would have died with him.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    I hope Kate Thornton will license or sell the formulas to someone. It would be a shame if his work in this field and his developers would have died with him.

best

Stefan
    Yep, I always wanted to try his developers. It would be a shame that they would be lost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Exactol may be gone, but Presysol is alive.
    Precise, exact? <strokes chin> Hmm. Nod's as good as a wink...

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B

Best,
    Helen
    I don't know Helen, sounds suspiciously a lot like pyrocat HD, even down to the dilution ratios for silver printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B

Best,
    Helen

I've been talking to the photographer who makes Presysol after he contacted me to give it a field test. I'm in the process of doing this and at the same time working on an article for B&W Photography (UK). After it's published I'll post my verdict on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that they were the same, only to remark tongue-in-cheek on the similarity. (I've just tried putting my tongue in my cheek while stroking my chin, nodding and winking. I need practice.)

I look forward to reading Les' review.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I prefer to call it "mouse in hand"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There may be significant similarities, but I'm sure Les will let us know if this bears out in practice. If we are honest, Exactol Lux and Dixactol Ultra (both of which I have used) seem VERY close to Pyrocat HD(not that I have used it yet). From the comments I have read, it sounds like Exactol Lux is a little finer grained and less sharp than Pyrocat and Dixactol sharper and grainier. Would that seem fair? When I first used the Xactols I was unaware of Pyrocat HD and was I unaware of divided D23 (would this be very similar to DiLuxol?) Barry suggested as much, claiming better acutance of DiLuxol over perceptol in any case. Now that I have scales and can do 6 sheets of 5x4 in Pyrocat HD for 18p, I doubt I will be looking back to the more expensive proprietary developers at nearly 10x the price. Now that my Xactols are used up I will not even be able to do a side by side with Pyrocat HD. Bummer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin