Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 974

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent work, very well made. I enjoyed watching that. I thought it was a good length but certainly like the idea of there being extra footage with more technical info & demonstrations.
    It was interesting watching it shortly after the Julius Shulman doc 'Visual Acoustics'. I'm a big Shulman fan & the doco was OK, but marred by too much digital animation & effects. It was as if the filmmakers wanted to show off what the software could do whether or not it was justified. By comparison the straight style of the Robin Bell piece was more pleasant to watch.
    Last edited by Michael W; 09-30-2010 at 04:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by richard dunkley View Post
    If anyone has requests or ideas for the technique extras, please E mail me as we shoot in about 10 days
    Richard Dunkley
    Hmm, personally I would like to see Robin Bell interpret several negatives of different formats; a straight print and then Robin's interpretation(s). Some of those negatives should be difficult

Negatives of different qualitites, e.g. thin, thick, normal, contrasty etc, and his view about them could also be a topic.

I wouldn't be extremely excited about a lot of print toning footage. The basic, untoned print itself is more important to me.

I hope other apuggers chime in as well. This is really a huge chance to see such a craftsman at work at length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to see some brief segments of him showing his darkroom set-up & talking about why he does things a certain way, e.g. "this is my best enlarger, it's xxx, & it has these useful features". "This is the developer I use for this paper, ... (straight from the bottle),... (or mixed from these raw materials)".
    Also would like to see him print from what he regards as a particularly difficult neg, eg might require split printing, flashing or lots of dodge & burn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I missed the video...isn't there anyplace where it's still available for viewing?

:-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have the Robin Bell's Silver Footprint book?

Is it a book of photographs only or is there commentary as well?

Thanks! Wish I could've seen the whole video...love the trailer.

Shooter
    35mm

Robin Bell's Book

Robin's book, The Silver Footprint is available on Amazon, at a big discount.
    I am shooting the technical 'extras' tomorrow, October 13th, so again any requests that I can put to him, please post. I hope the DVD will be available in January
    Richard Dunkley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Robins's book is a great testimony to his standing in the photographic industry. There is no technical information included. It is a personal view of the photographs contained in the book. Each print has just a few words - maybe 2 or 3 sentences - about his thoughts of the print. Or a small cameo about the photographer who he may know as a friend. It is a refreshingly different photographic book with world renown photographer's work for your enjoyment. Nothing more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinRH View Post
    Robins's book is a great testimony to his standing in the photographic industry. There is no technical information included. It is a personal view of the photographs contained in the book. Each print has just a few words - maybe 2 or 3 sentences - about his thoughts of the print. Or a small cameo about the photographer who he may know as a friend. It is a refreshingly different photographic book with world renown photographer's work for your enjoyment. Nothing more.
    Robin's book arrived today...and I can tell you that even upon a quick peek, it will be one of my favorites. This book is a treasure chest for printers and photographers alike.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree, the book is really great.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those who appreciate this and the fact that Robin is still printing, perhaps get a print or two made? It is not cheap but maybe you cannot print to 20x16 in your darkroom but have a print screaming out to be bigger, or something really tough you have not been able to print well?

I have worked with him on my current project and his support has been fantastic. The man really knows what he is doing and, yes, he has printed a vast amount of iconic work and continues to do so for collections all over the place.

Lets support him!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin