Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,755   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

metol vs phenidone

I was looking at several 2 bath formulas in Barry Thorton's website and I'd like to try one or 2 of those.
    I wanted to start with divided D-23/DD-23 Found HERE (kodak's formula and modified)

My main concern is that I have phenidone at home, but not metol.

Can I replace phenidone for metol? If so what is the equivalent in weights from one to the other?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Pyrocat HD, 2.5g of metol replaces .2g of phenidone - or 25g metol replaces 2g phenidone. Based on that, I mixed some Pyrotriethanolamine, which calls for 18g of metol, with 2g of phenidone. My scales only measure whole grams - not fractions. The developer works fine. I'd guess you'd be close using the 2g=25g calculation.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    I was looking at several 2 bath formulas in Barry Thorton's website and I'd like to try one or 2 of those.
    I wanted to start with divided D-23/DD-23 Found HERE (kodak's formula and modified)

My main concern is that I have phenidone at home, but not metol.

Can I replace phenidone for metol? If so what is the equivalent in weights from one to the other?
    Yes you can, with some caveats about activity and interactions with other reducing agents in the formulation. By itself, phenidone is a very slow working developer. It is most often used in combination with other reducing agents; Hydroquinone and Pyrocatechol are examples, Ascorbic acid, Ascorbate and Isoascorbate are others.

One part phenidone is approximately equal to 8 - 10 parts Metol. Look at DIVIDED D-76 DEVELOPER - DD-76 - VARIATIONS VI-X in the reference you posted.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the PD-76 as they call it.
    has anyone used D23 and DD-76? coments on those?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    I saw the PD-76 as they call it.
    has anyone used D23 and DD-76? coments on those?
    I have used both - plus several other variations. I quickly switched to Beutler's high acutance 1 shot developer and then Rodinal. The only divided developer I currently use (and only for about 5% of my film) is a home brewed Diafine substitute.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I have used only Diafine as Divivded-Dev, as a matter of fact I have my Diafine periods (4-6 months of using anything in Diafine)

So I guess I'll keep working with it.

Images
    I have used a mixture of phenidone, hydroquinone and sulfite which does pretty much what D-23 does but better. Try:

0.1 g phenidone
    at least 8 g hydroquinone
    100 g sodium sulfite
    water to 1 liter.

The phenidone will activate only a certain amount of hydroquinone. Adding more than that amount of hydroquinone has little effect on activity but increases capacity and resistance to aerial oxidation. I have used this concoction as the first bath of a 2 bath just as I would have used D-23. I could not see any appreciable difference in the H&D curves, but you may. As a single bath developer, the capacity is 8 or more rolls or 8X10 sheets/ liter without replenishment.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    I forgot to say that phenidone keeps a long time when it is dissolved in propylene glycol in the ratio of 1 or 2 grams/ 100 ml. You will have to heat the mixture to dissolve the phenidone, which goes against tradition, but that's mostly what I do, isn't it? The solution makes it easier to measure very small amounts of phenidone.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I have used a mixture of phenidone, hydroquinone and sulfite which does pretty much what D-23 does but better. Try:

0.1 g phenidone
    at least 8 g hydroquinone
    100 g sodium sulfite
    water to 1 liter.

The phenidone will activate only a certain amount of hydroquinone. Adding more than that amount of hydroquinone has little effect on activity but increases capacity and resistance to aerial oxidation. I have used this concoction as the first bath of a 2 bath just as I would have used D-23. I could not see any appreciable difference in the H&D curves, but you may. As a single bath developer, the capacity is 8 or more rolls or 8X10 sheets/ liter without replenishment.
    Hey Pat, that recipe gets fairly close to the A bath recipe in the home-brew Diafine substitute.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Patrick, thanks to your advice I made a 2% solution in PG
    Heated the PG in the conventional oven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin