Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,581   Online: 974

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Negatives came out horribly... Where did it all go wrong?

Hey all,
    just came back from a weekend in Oslo and eagerly went on to develop 2 films (Legacy 400, which apparently is rebranded Neopan 400, in D76) last night.

It was the first time i used D76, but had already succesfully used ID-11.

The result is absolutely unusable. Looks like either there has been some sort of light leek or the developer (or fixer?) didn't spread evenly.

To be fair, it was only the second time i developed two films at once (in a paterson tank and with paterson plastic reels), and it hasn't been first time lucky when i first did, either, as the same effect came out (even if at a much lesser degree) here and there on the border of the films.

I was also disappointed to see that, apart from the obvious problem, the grain came out massive, as well, which never happened with ID11 (nowhere near as big with Rodinal either). I used the developer at full strenght, using 650ml for the two films together.

Attached is a scan for you to see what I'm about, the first showing the obvious light leek effect, the second the horrible grain.

So, has anyone a clue about what could have gone wrong?

Thanks very much,
    Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img340.jpg   img346.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Alex,

Oslo is a great city isn't it? Tragic that your photos are unusable.

Could you show us the whole negative including sprockets? Perhaps hold a strip up to the light and photograph it?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Seconding the request for a photo of the negs. You can see what look like sprocket marks from the left of the first frame, which means that you may have had agitation issues.

I would look very closely at your fixed - a general milkiness of the film (milky or brown-stained appearance of negs, loss of blacks in the positive version) can be caused by incomplete fixing so try re-fixing in fresh fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first looks like too much agitation in the developer, resulting in over-development around the sprocket holes. I'm not sure the excessive grain might just be from scanning and a result of over-agitation.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    oslo is absolutely beautiful.
    will try to. my scanner is an epson v300 and has a film guide which covers the sproket holes. will see what i can do, but i think you might have a point as the "light leek" pattern seems to start from the sproket holes...

Shooter
    35mm
    got some scans with sprocket holes, and i guess they prove your theories.

guess next time i'll use d76 i'll stick with the times/agitation routine i did with id11, never had a problem with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img354.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you checked the sprockets for deformation? Film fogs when bent or stressed in any way. For instance if you re-wind backwards (opposite the arrow direction, you will get similar marks.
    Uneven development can also be caused by too little or too vigorous agitation, even films touching in the spiral.

Mark

Edit: ah you posted while I was replying.

I'd say probably agitation, keep your agitation consistent ID11 and D76 should be interchangeable to a large degree keep the same agitation with both those chems.

Shooter
    35mm
    sprockets seem ok, though i had a few problems in loading the films. must admit i think it was more because of a bad cold rather than problems with the film, which looks fine. also, would be curious if both films didn't ease in the spiral properly and ended up touching (although still possible of course).

but considering the films have been developed together and both came out badly i tend to second the agitations issue.

agitating every 30 seconds as per the packet seemed a lot to me but went for it, probably doing a bit too much.

i developed another film in the same developer and with 10% time compensation and came out fine. that time i (mistakenly) did less agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to refix them first, then we know more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Are you really sure the negs are fixed properly? Looks like some sort of fog to me, which may indicate not fixing enough/bad fixer.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin