Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,684   Online: 902

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XR-1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

XR-1

Anyone have any success with this stuff for speed?

I read the article on XR-1 over on Ed Buffaloe's unblinkingeye.com and thought I'd give it a try to see if I could squeeze some more real speed out of Tri-X than I'm getting with Acufine (EI 640 for a nice looking neg). So I tested it with TXT 4x5" at various speeds and development times in version "B", both 1+1 and stock, and I'm getting shadow detail at EI 1280, but the results are kind of flat compared to Acufine. The best neg I got was with 1+1 at 86 deg. for 20 min--printable, but flat. I tried the stock solution, which is recommended for push processing, but this resulted in high base fog, I'll probably try again at an even higher temperature (up to 105 deg. is possible) and maybe a longer processing time, but even at 86 degrees, the emulsion gets fragile, and maintaining 100 deg. for 25 minutes adds another challenge to the process.

Here's Ed's article:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/XR-1/xr-1.html

Any other experiences?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, I still have some of the original stuff in sealed foil packets (I keep thinking I should tell Bruce Barnbaum). I never used it as a push-processing developer - always as a contrast control developer. Bruce Barnbaum uses it in a split development process for contrast control.

XR-1 has long been my developer of choice for pictorial photography with Kodak Tech Pan.

To increase the contrast, you might try "kicking the pH" with some carbonate or hydroxide.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, Tom. That's an idea. I'll give it a go and maybe try a few other things.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have some of the original stuff in foil envelopes...is it still being made?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No, it's no longer being made, but there are two likely formulas for it from the original patent on unblinkingeye.com.

Shooter
    35mm
    The dev is already presenting base fog problems, so kicking up the pH will make matters worse.
    If one tries this course, it's better to add some benzotriazole (or maybe bromide) to it.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    The dev is already presenting base fog problems, so kicking up the pH will make matters worse.
    If one tries this course, it's better to add some benzotriazole (or maybe bromide) to it.

Jorge O
    Yes, Jorge! It is benzotriazole you want to add (I've done it - back in the 80's). Adding benzotriazole will decrease XR-1's activity, so be careful and add just enough to knock the fog level down - experiment! Adding benzotriazole will also tend to increase contrast with XR-1.

Adding KBr to XR-1 didn't have a noticeable effect on the fog levels.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks again. I'll try that with the next test.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, another step forward. I tried doubling the borax and got a better result, but still not quite enough contrast. Then I doubled the hydroquinone (as well as the borax), and this test neg looks to be in the ballpark--possibly on the grainy side, but I'm mainly looking to use this with large format, so that's okay. With Arista.EDU 400 I've got good shadow detail and reasonable highlights at EI 1280, 20 min. at 86 deg. F. Next I'll try a little benzotriazole to see if I can keep down the base fog a little more.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For further insight check the patent. I've a printout of it in
    front of me. Inventor, Anneman; U. S. Patent 4,083,722. Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin