Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,113   Online: 972

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    I think you've covered everything although I also think that you are setting yourself a demanding task given the number of different tests you intend to carry out.
    Yes, and I hate processing film too! :rolleyes:

My one concern is your idea to divide the film into 4, (snip) I would be inclined to shoot a 3rd roll of film.
    That was just me being cheap! Given the amount of labour involved (which could be trashed with one snip of the scissors) and the cost of a roll of Delta 100, I think you're right; I'll play it safe and use three rolls.

If you need any help or just want to talk about the assessment give me a call I'll be home on Sunday afternoon and evening but will be in London from Monday till Friday evening. The number is 01890 850259. On the other hand if you fancy a shortish drive pop across to Northumberland and we can assess them together.
    Best of luck.
    Many thanks for the offer, Les. It's very much appreciated.

I'll try not to disturb you though, especially as you're travelling the next day.

I do, however, reserve the right to pop up to Northumberland at some point and buy you several pints of the local milk-of-amnesia for all the help you've given me, both through APUG and in your articles!

All the best,

Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The results are in

Okay, here's the results for the first part of the test. (The plus and minus processing part will be done another time using Rodinal at 1:25 for with a base development time of 9 minutes.) The shots are now in the Tech Gallery and here's the description of events:

Location - Bridge at Little Leigh on A49 just south of J10 on M56, Northwest England

Kit - Nikon F80, Nikkor 28-105mm at about 35mm, Manfrotto tripod, cable release

Shot - Matrix meter, bracketed +1, +2, -1, -2 around a base exposure of 1/90th at f11 (Note - I put the camera in the shade of a building in order to avoid flare. By the end of the first roll the sun had worked round and was about to hit the camera so I moved it slightly and recomposed. Either because of that or because the cloud was boiling off, the base exposure then went up half a stop to 125th at f11)

Health and Safety - A quick note for all Rodinal virgins like myself: This stuff isn't like DD-X or Ilfosol S where you can paddle around in it to your heart's content. I got a small splash of the concentrate on me and got instant contact dermatitis where it hit. Treat it with respect, wear your gloves and deal with any spills / splashes immediately.

Processing (all at 20C using filtered water and very fresh dev):

ISO 100 - Ilford Ilfotec DD-X 1:4, 20C, 12 mins, agitated 10 secs at the top of each minute

ISO 50 - Agfa Rodinal 1:50, 20C, 8 mins, agitated 1 min then 5 secs every 30 secs

ISO 100 - Agfa Rodinal 1:25, 20C, 9 mins, agitated 1 min then 5 secs every 30 secs

ISO 100 - Agfa Rodinal 1:50, 20C, 14 mins, agitated 1 min then 5 secs every 30 secs

ISO 100 - Agfa Rodinal 1:50, 20C, 14 mins, agitated 30 secs then 15 secs every 1.5 mins

ISO 100 - Agfa Rodinal 1:100, 20C, 30 mins, agitated 30 secs then 10 secs every 8 mins (Note: I measured the temp of the dev when I poured it out and it had crept up to 22C)

Scanning - All were scanned from the "metered value" negs at the scanner's default settings. Other than desaturation, no manipulation was performed. I deliberately didn't adjust the levels so you can see (as well as I can show) the differences between the negs.

Evaluation - The DD-X neg is darker than the others and shows more shadow detail. The ISO 50 neg is a bit undernourished, could probably have used a bit more time. I wouldn't have a problem printing from any of these. So far, the Rodinal 1:25 neg looks best to me, but I won't be able to really tell until I get in the darkroom.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank,

First thanks for all the hard work, I know this was a little time consuming. I may have missed it in you post above, but film was ??? Delta 100? One difference between our test is, I was using Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand, on roll film. Must admit I have not used DD-X.

For 35mm, I have had very good luck with Rodinal at 1:25 - would be my first choice for 35mm film. For roll film I think 1:100 (however based on another thread about negatives with a lot of sky, this could chang). Sheet film, have not developed enough to make any comments.

Again thanks for sharing, results are interesting, be curious to see how much difference there is in print times, I know mine have changed.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Sorry, yes it was Delta 100 in 35mm. From the look of the test negs I think I'll be going with Rodinal 1:25 for 9 mins at Agfa's recommended agitation.

I'll let you know about the processing times, but you can see from the scans posted (all made using the same settings) that the DD-X image is paler than the others. Based on that, I think my print times will be a fair bit shorter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin