Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,716   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Efke 25 vs Pan F+

I've been using Efke 25 quite a bit recently, but have got a bit fed up with it. As well as being fragile, difficult to handle, the 120 rolls being a bit on the short side and a bit leaky around the edges, I have also found that I'm getting staining on the negatives which look a bit like drying marks but seem to be in the negative and show up markedly on the print. I have fixed/washed for the usual time - does Efke require extra fixing/washing? Has anyone else experienced the stains (I develop in Rodinal)? Don't get me wrong - the results from unstained negs are great, but there seem to be too many drawbacks.

So I tried out Ilford Pan F+ and compared them (non-scientifically!). The prints look very similar and the grain (what little there is) looks the same at 9x9 under the finder, but the film handles well and develops easily.

Any comments on how similar these films are and the pro's/con's of each?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Snapper,

I went from Pan F+ to the Efke after hearing so much about it and after working with a few rolls in 120 and 35mm immediately got online and ordered a bunch more Pan F+. I didn't experience the stains you are talking about, but the fragility of the Efke is a pain. And no matter how careful I have been handling the film I still end up with small bits of emulsion missing. I also found that the Efke was not nearly as sharp as the Pan F+, and I was not all that pleased with the tonality. I know other people here have gotten very pleasing results with Efke, and based on that I might experiment with it some more, but for the important shots I'll be sticking with the Ilford - I've used for landscapes in all sorts of light and with studio portraits and have yet to feel let down.

Don't know if this answers your question, but I was just so happy to find a topic that I had some real-world experience with...

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they made PanF+ in 4x5 I would use it. They don't, so it's Efke25 in 4x5 and PanF+ in 120.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Snapper, are you doing a presoak with your Efke 25? If not, this may be the cause of uneven development. Try 2 minutes.

Try it with PMK and see what you get for sharp prints.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Please, please, someone give me some timimgs for Efke 120 in pmk - I can't find them anywhere.

Will try the presoak next time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Snapper,
    I have never used any Efke film myself but I remember reading the following advice in the Fotoimpex brochure: the film speed on the box is the real speed, temperature of dev. is critical, do not overdevelop and a hardening fixer is strongly recommended.
    Hope this helps. www.fotoimpex.de
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Snapper,

Try Efke 25 at asa 12. Use a 2 minute presoak in distilled water or tap water if it is filtered and clean. Use an "N" time with PMK and 1:2:100 dilution at 7 minutes (actually, add 30 seconds to this "N" time for presoak compensation, so you will have 7:30 total time). Do your first 30 seconds with continuous agitation. Next, do two inversions (rollfilm, not sheet film) every 15 seconds for the duration of development (about 5 seconds every 15 seconds). Water stop bath with agitation for one minute. Use an alkaline fixer (don't add hardener, no acid please).

Do not use the PMK afterbath. Wash in clean water for 10:00, hang and dry. Be careful with your handling of this film, it will scratch with careless technique.

Find a shot with plenty of contrast (I enjoy lots of chrome on motorcycles as a good test of contrast) and just meter off of your gray card. Try different lighting to get an idea of this film's abilities on a test roll and tell us what you think. Best luck. tim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go - I still have 10 rolls of the stuff left before I switch to Pan F+!

What fixers are alkaline - I usually use Ilford fixer?

Is distilled water essential for the pre-soak? Will good old UK tap water be ok?

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pan F+ in Rodinal is a great combo. Very sharp and fine grain. I shoot ASA 12 to 25 and process dilution 1/100, about 8 to 10 minutes, 2 to 3 inversions/30 secs. Personal times may vary.

EFKE I have never tried.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Images
    Snapper,

Perhaps the most commonly available alkaline fixer is Photographer's Formulary TF-4. It's now my only fixer, and I highly recommend it, especially if you are using fiber paper. No more hypo clear, no more long wash times. For film and paper, I simply use developer, water stop, and TF-4. Makes life easy.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin