Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,082   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you 100% sure the chemicals are marked correctly? This doesn't sound TOO convincing : " I used some older sodium carbonate (anhydrous) I was given with a bunch of chemicals to make the 10% solution rather than the newer stuff that formulated the beers developer with "

Adding sodium carbonate to a weak developer most assuredly makes the developer more active.
    If it is a high Ph developer, like Rodinal concentrate which was formulated with NaOH, you'll be diluting the mix and get less activity.

But in this instance I'm nearly 100% sure you or the previous owner mixed up the labels. can't find no reason for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erik, if that was the case the other chemicals that I was given. i.e the metol and the hydroquinone I used to make parts A and B wouldn't have had the effects they had. They were bahaving exactly as they should (more part B giving more contrast). Which is why I think its very unlikely that the labels got mixed up. The sodium carbonate looks identical to the 2.5 kilos of it I bought new directly from silver print. Very fine, almost like flour when compared with sulfite that has grains more like sugar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, maybe the developer doesn't keep so well? Beers' developer isn't anything that special; it's just another MQ formulation not terribly unlike scores of other paper developer formulae. You bottled up a working solution developer and kept it over night. We don't know how many prints you ran through it before putting it away either. Adding carbonate to an already half dead developer isn't going to make it magically spring back to life.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Interested what keeping a bottle '10% carbonate' handy means still. It doesn't specify in the darkroom cookbook what to use.
    To my recollection, yes, it does say how to make the solutions he recommends having on hand (a bromide solution for lowering contrast and a carbonate solution for raising it).

At any rate, a 10 percent solution means 1 gram of carbonate in 10 mL of solution. He also says what "percent solutions" are in the book.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-25-2010 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheers 2f, I'll have another look in there. Frank, I put very few prints through there and put 800ml in a litre bottle and used anti-oxidant spray to displace any oxygen in the bottle. The solution hadn't yellowed at all. Which is why I was confused. Wasn't expecting it to sprint back to life, was just expecting it to work more or less like the night before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin