Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,032   Online: 785

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Trying a few rolls of FP4+...

Hello everyone,

I decided to give FP4+ a try. I normally use Tri-x in HC-110(B)/Orientall Seagull FB VC and I like the results. Now, I've seen samples online of pictures made with this film and most of them seemed to have very low contrast. I wanted to experiment with a slower film so I bought a couple of rolls of FP4+ . The paper I use is not as contrasty as Ilford MGIV.

Any advice on how to use this film? I use a Mamiya RZ 67 and a Sekonic L 508. What's your opinion about this film?

Thanks,

Axel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot it at 64 and develop in PMK, 11m at 70f. 15s constant agitation, then 2 inversions every 30s. If the scenes were really contrasty, sometimes let it stand the last 3 minutes.

Some people rave about this film with Rodinal, but have not tried it myself.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I really like the look of this film.
    I've been developing in Ilfosol 3. I've shot mainly lowish contrast seens with it and developed for 9 or so mins with agitation every minute.

[IMG] Jackson by Tom McDonald1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love FP4. I shoot it in 120 format, EI 100, develop it in ID-11 1:1 and just love everything about it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used it for years and always developed it in ID11 at 1+1 or 1+3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I did more 35mm, I had great, predictable results with FG-7. It really seemed made for FP4+ but this is a film that's known for getting along with many developers. I found true speed to be 64-100 in different soups but I constantly read of others rating it at box speed and above and they seem quite happy with the results. I have a great deal of this film in the freezer and recently tried a roll in PyroCat-MC... It looked to be a very promising combination (this was 120). Years ago, I used the FG-7 w/o sodium sulfite 1:15 and the negatives had a great "bite" to them and worked very well on inanimate subjects. Here's an old 35mm, FP4+ @80 in FG7, printed on WTFB. I happened to have it on my desk just now and did a quick scan in gray scale so the subtle warm tone doesn't show here but you can get a general idea of how it handles contrasty light. This was a friend's almost-done Moto Guzzi police bike restoration at a Guzzi rally about ten years back, Konica 57mm 1.2.

I found very little real difference with FG7 vs D-76 and ID-11 but had a local photo shop that promoted and stocked the FG7 so it became more of a habit than a great preference. D-76 1:1 was excellent with this film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eldocop1a.jpg  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love FP4+, use it mostly for 4x5 and 5x7, use it @ iso 100 in D76 1+1. It's just a gorgeous film, fine grain, reasonably priced, bombproof quality control, classic look. Not great for reciprocity situations [i.e. night shots can take a long time]. It prints really well on Ilford warm tone MGIV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, FP4+ is a fine film. You do need to watch out for reciprocity departure with it though. It is better than Plus-X in that regard, a film which I think has quite similar characteristics. But if it's long exposures you're looking for, it's not great. Fuji Acros would be a much better choice for that task. As far as it being low in contrast, that's simply not the case. You can't judge by what you see online or even in a real print. You don't know what the negatives look like, how they were processed, what sort of paper was used, etc. So don't be fooled into believing everything you read or see.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm FP4+@iso 50 developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 19 minutes @ 20degrees.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6993947_n.jpg
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4348537_n.jpg

Last edited by Grainy; 10-23-2010 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favourite B/W film. You can also try to expose it at half the box speed and develop it in Perceptol 1+1.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin