Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,456   Online: 938

Thread: C-41 Processing

Shooter
    35mm

C-41 Processing

Hey now all. I'm just getting back into photography after a few years off, I'm glad to see there's a big community here dedicated to film.

So I've got a couple of old rolls of BW400CN lying around and I'd like to learn how to process C-41 film, just for the experience and the knowledge - I'm experienced with standard B&W developing, but I've never done C-41. I've googled around a bit and I haven't been able to find anything definitive on chemicals and the process.

So I turn to you: what chemicals do I need? What is the process/how does it differ from standard B&W?

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look in the color chemistry thread. You can find my posts on alternative C-41 and E-6 and plenty of information on commercial 3-rd party and Kodak chemistry. The most readily available third party chemistry (for US residents) is probably through Freestyle sales. Processing C-41 is nearly as easy as processing B&W with the added need to closely control developer temperature at 100F, for 3-1/2 minutes. Printing the negatives is another matter entirely. In my opinion the skill level to print color matches that of a good B&W printer although the details are quite different.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Order the C41 Press kit from B&H. You mix them from powder to form your chemicals. That's the best way to get started. With B+W chromogenic films you do not have to process at full temperature, nor as accurately (the temperature effects properties of the relations between colors, not applicable if dealing with B+W film.) There are instructions inside/times for processing down to 74 degrees IIRC.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum221/...g-dummies.html

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware that in the powder/solid kit that the so called "blix" may lead to desaturated colors and coarser grain. Please look at other posts than mine in this regard.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin