Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,417   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is one way, I developed a film once with a measure of water only. I did catch the error after adding the stop to the tank, as when I dumped the oneshot developer, I noticed it wasn't slippery as I accidentally splashed some on my hand, and wait a minute, it has no smell either. Many washes then develop, stop and fix, it was ok, disaster averted. New rule too, always add dev to water when diluting, never the other way around, plus all measuring cups are now labeled, Water, Dev, Stop and Fix. For both film and RA4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same here - processing each individually also allows me to make adjustments in case the developing times aren't working out as I expected.

Different bottles help a lot also. My dev and stop are kept in similar bottles but fix is always different - and yes you can smell if you are not certain, but I don't like to make a habit out of it (as as smoker I don't really trust my work to the power of my nose.)
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use always the same color code on my bottles.
    Green for developer, Red for stop and Yellow for fix and Blue for water. Just a habit for over 40 years in film development.

But....... may I ask how old your stock of Xtol was? Was it made in destilled water?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even "dead" developers usually give some sign of image, it may be very thin but it's still there, unless the developer is REALLY really dead and that may take years, even the "Xtol syndrome" doesn't kill it perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had my first accident last week, developed my delta100 (wrapped in Ektar100 paper) in C-41. I thought I was developing the Ektar 100, but instead I was developing my delta 100. So the negative came out completly blank. Luckily it was only some personal work, but still very annoying since I can't redo the shots. First and last time I will ever develop a roll without reading on the roll itself wich kind of film and process it is, also first and last time I will put BW film in the paperbag from C-41 film after it's exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    I had my first accident last week, developed my delta100 (wrapped in Ektar100 paper) in C-41. I thought I was developing the Ektar 100, but instead I was developing my delta 100. So the negative came out completly blank. Luckily it was only some personal work, but still very annoying since I can't redo the shots. First and last time I will ever develop a roll without reading on the roll itself wich kind of film and process it is, also first and last time I will put BW film in the paperbag from C-41 film after it's exposed.
    I don't understand what happened here. What paper are you talking about?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think I know what happened... I am fairly meticulous and do actually have different jugs labelled and coloured. I set everything up first and was ready to go when I realised the dev instructions called for 1:3 instead of my usual 1:1 for XTOL. I was flapping about and must have picked up the wrong jug (very stupidly). More speed, less haste or whatever... I just missed my routine. I think sticking to one film, one developer has merit - especially for a beginner like me. Mixing film is ALWAYS a headache! Shame as I was really looking forward to the results of the Rollei retro.. and year, they were important shots too :-( Yeah I know... why risk something with a new film too... lessons learnt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry for my english, not paper but the "foil" the film is wrapped in when new in box. When I'm out shooting and change roll I use to put the exposed roll in the foil wich the new roll I loaded was in. (120 rolls)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only disaster I have had was putting in 300ml for 35mm instead of 500ml for the 120 roll I've had in there.

Other than that, no problems really.

I dont prepare my developers ahead of time, unless it needs warming up, but thats still right before I use it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lately I have been developing one or two sheets of film in one Yankee tank, and then reusing the developer to process other sheets for a different time in a second tank as soon as the first set is done. In fact, this week I had some film to develop at N-2, some at N-1, some N and some N+1, so I cycled through my tanks twice. I found that I needed to concentrate much more than usual to make sure that I was putting developer in the tank first, remembering not to open the tank after the water stop and before fixing, making sure that I was returning the fixer to the right jug, etc. etc. etc.

So I am glad to read that others find this juggling act difficult, and I like the idea of a flag taped to a straw to remind me what is what. I am also thinking of adding a third tank to my set so that I can shut the lights off and move the film racks from one tank to the next like tray development. Then all I would have to remember is to make sure the lids are back on before turning on the lights.....

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin