Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,982   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

First big accident

Of course it had to happen with 3 rolls from an important wedding! Rollei 400S retro... XTOL 1:3 @ 20 degrees for 17 minutes.... Stop, fixer, wash as usual... negs came out totally clear. Nothing. Why me? I must have been really bad in another life ;-) All my other films (35 and 120) have been perfect (mostly TMAX). I must say I was surprised at 17 minutes but that's what my iPhone digital truth app said! Agghhh!

Shooter
    35mm
    If everything is clear, as in no frames, you likely mixed up your fix and developer, and since fixer dissolves silver, it did it's job flawlessly. Been there, done that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am sooooo sure I didn't... but... Do I enter the idiot of the month awards? Don't answer that... ;-) Thanks for the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I'm surprised this is never stressed in any tutorial:

There is only one really serious chemical screw-up possibility: using fixer instead of developer. Most if not all other problems, such as wrong development time/temperature/dilution, forgotting stop/rinse, heck, even pouring fixer directly on developer, even accidentally opening the tank for a second, may result in compromised image quality but usually usable and printable images. And some problems can be fixed later, such as insufficient fixing. But using fixer instead of developer is a complete loss and cannot be corrected if not noticed instantly after pouring in.

So, be super-duper-hyper careful not to mix up developer and fixer! Beginners are often taught by saying to put everything they need nicely in a row before starting, but this can be catastrophic if you are not careful. A much better way is to store your fixer solution on a shelf and start looking for it when you have completed the developer stage. I've never made that mistake because of my methods some people might call "sloppy". It's also good to have the fixer bottle to look and feel completely different from developer bottle.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sooooo sure I didn't...

I was sure I didn't either, but it's pretty much how you make a blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    First time I had an audience - was showing my little cousin how it all works. Well I obviously didn't do a great job ;-) Not experienced enough to have any distractions yet... best never to really. Last time I shoot a wedding anyway. That's it for me - I'm screwed.

Thanks guys for the tips anyway - much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there are no frame numbers at all, you fixed first. Sorry about your loss....

No matter how sure I think I am of what chemical is what, I ALWAYS smell the first bath before pouring it in. Because of this, I have never made this particular mistake (though it is a fairly common one), and I have prevented it from happening at least a couple of times.

Another trick is to make a marker flag for the fixer, and tape it to a straw or chopstick that you put into the fixer container when you mix it up prior to processing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually when I have rolls of this importance, I process each one individually. Even if you make a mistake you will come out with something.

Sorry about your loss.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Usually when I have rolls of this importance, I process each one individually. Even if you make a mistake you will come out with something.

Sorry about your loss.

That's right and with color I never sent all the rolls out at the same time.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is the exact reason I use daylight tanks and process in the light. The hardest part is loading the film in the canisters inside of a light bag but that rarely if ever creates a problem. Oh, and sorry for your loss, it's bad enough to lose shots taken for your self let alone a paying gig.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin