Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,907   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Panatomic X from 1949!

I just got a roll of it, plus a roll of Plus-x from 1955 to play with. In 35mm.

Just for fun now, but wondering if you have any tips to increase my chances of something showing up on the film when I develop it.

Should I overexpose a couple of stops?

Should I over develop also?

What should my start times be on souping in D-76?

Should I use D-76 stock or 1+1 as I usually do?

Thanks.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother using it at all. Keep it as a curiosity. After more than 50 years, it's not likely that you'll get any decent images from it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to try, maybe shoot it at ISO 12 or ISO 25 and then develop in HC-110.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EI 16, Rodinal 1:50 12 minutes, agitate for 20 seconds initially, then agitate at 5 minutes for 10 seconds, then agitate at 10 minutes for 10 seconds, rinse then fix, hypo clear, wash, photoflo, hang to dry.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay. So I've got one for blow it off and two go for its. Interesting.

Chrism: why HC-110?

Curt: why Rodinal?

Anyone else?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well it's not too often someone beats me, but I believe you have.

I've got a near-full 100-ft bulk roll of 35mm Panatomic-X with an expiration date of 9/1963. That's two months before John F. Kennedy was assassinated. A few years back I couldn't resist spooling up a short roll and trying it out. Exposed at the box speed of ASA 32 and developed in home-brewed D-76d (1+1) for the original Kodak-recommended time/temp (which slips my mind at the moment) produced very usable negatives with only slightly elevated base fog.

For some idiotic reason I decided I should keep the remaining film in the freezer. Then I realized it was the year 2005. What the hell were you thinking, Ken...?

I'm a firm believer that the best vintage aircraft museums are the ones where the displayed airplanes have oil drip pans under them. So my vote is to use the film. Or at least some of it. You can always keep the box and can for souvenirs.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Overexpose, underdevelop. Exposure will be more separated from fog, fog will develop to a lower level.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal worked for me for 30 years and when Agfa Pan 25 was available I used it with that too, now I use it with Rollei Pan 25 and Ilford Pan F. You are free to use anything you want though, many will work well.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've had good luck with HC110 and expired films. I've just overexposed dramatically (one stop every decade down, shoot at 25 if it gets that low). Decent luck so far.

This was Plus-X Pan expired in 1961 or so, exposed earlier this year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/4565245560/

I think i shot it around ei 25 and developed using a relatively default HC110. Can't seem to find any more specific notes unfortunately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    This was Plus-X Pan expired in 1961 or so, exposed earlier this year:
    That is a great result! Love the picture also.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin