Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,019   Online: 1171

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Old Tri-X vs New-The Look

I have been doing darkroom work for a little over a year now (after a 35 year hiatus). Except for a little store processed XP-2 I have been using Delta 400 (35mm) in D-76 exclusively and have been satisfied with the results.

I printed two old Tri-X 35mm negatives developed 35 years ago recently and loved the look. Just something about it I really liked. I was wondering apart from the recent film base change has Tri-X retained the same look or has it evolved through the years?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Honestly

I cannot tell the difference between the old and the new when printed. Some have said that the new is finer grained, but I doubt it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not giong to tell you I'm an expert, but I've used Tri-X for a long time (not just years...decades) and I can't tell the diff in the old and the new as far as prints go. Seems to take longer to fix than it used to, though. I'll continue to use it 'til I die. (20-30 years, maybe?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used TriX for nearly 30 years and can see no significant difference. The only change is likley to be as a result of using different types of developer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't noticed any difference in 120 TX-400 developed normally, for me, in D76 1:1. I have an unopened box of TXP 4x5. When I get ambulatory again - able to tote the LF + tripod - I'll give it a shot and maybe report.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What about TMAX 400?

As we are on it: Did anyone see a difference between TMAX-400 old vs. new?

best

Stefan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sounds like the new Tri-X is the same as the old stuff. Since I have been using the Delta 400 exclusively as it was suggested to get to know one film/developer and it is good advice it is time to try something new. So off to the photo store I go. But I think I'll stick to the D-76 1+1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found it on sale the other day and bought a couple of rolls.
    It looked nice in Rodinal 1+50 for my taste (I usually don't care for grain, as it's part of the film)

Nice details in shadows, and nice tonality. As seen Here
    and a detail here
    Last edited by titrisol; 08-17-2004 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    Sounds like the new Tri-X is the same as the old stuff. Since I have been using the Delta 400 exclusively as it was suggested to get to know one film/developer and it is good advice it is time to try something new. So off to the photo store I go. But I think I'll stick to the D-76 1+1.
    I recently ordered film from my mail order dealer and bought five test rolls 400TX. Usually I use Delta 400. I developed the 400TX in DS-10 1+1 in my ATL and found it excellent... very nice skin tones, excellent sharpness and only a little larger grain compared to Delta 400. The portraits have "bite" and show nice edge effects.

If I ever have to replace Delta 400, this will be the successor.

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only difference I've noticed is a pink tint when using Ilford Fixer that never happened with the old tri-x for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin