Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,010   Online: 672

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fomabrom Variant 111 and selenium toning

How do you Selenium tone, dilution and time, Fomabrom Variant 111 paper for a nice warm tonality?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I could never get a nice warm tonality from Fomabrom Variant 111 in selenium. Neither with the old, neutral-to-slightly-warm variation, nor with the new, cold one.
    Right now I'm using 1+30 for four minutes, just to deepen the blacks. After four minutes the color of the print starts turning into an ugly cold pinkish blue.
    Lower dilutions and longer times give the print a noticeable magenta cast, which I find unappealing.
    I'm using Moersch MT1, not KRST, so I don't know how conclusive my times and dilutions are.

On the other hand, if selenium toner is followed by sepia, you'll get a nice, deep brown, deeper than sepia alone (which on Fomabrom is already deep to begin with). It's worth a try. You might like it.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 10-25-2010 at 05:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or alternatively try Se->Su. I find going from selenium to polysulfide toners to be easier process-wise, as well.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin