Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,210   Posts: 1,531,977   Online: 1157

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sulphite & Metabisulphite questions on heat

It seems I am having trouble mxing up sulphite from metabisulphite.

(I can only buy sodium sulphite here and from pool shops not from the photo chemical suppliers who only have metabisulphite.. and I want the potassium salt, edit: Vanbar has sodium sulphite now)

I am following:
    K2SO5 + 2KOH = 2K2SO3 + H2O

When I mix it I usually get undissolved matter remaining, requiring filtration, is this because of the heat produced from the reaction by the KOH?

What is the best method of production? Metabisulphite in water, KOH in water, add KOH solution to metabisulphite? Add metabisulphite solution to KOH?

Metabisulphite powder to KOH solution? KOH flakes to metabisulphite solution?

I also remember reading somewhere that heat will 'wreck' the sulphite, so am not able to boil off the remaining water to collect dry sulphite?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tangent... I remember the days when we used to have chemistry kits as kids. Anyone else remember those? Nowadays you'll never see anything remotely like that, not after McVey and not after 9/11.

Granted, as a kid (during my pyro era) I would mix all of the chemicals together just for fun.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dissolve the metabisulfite in water then add the KOH solid gradually with stirring so as not to generate too much heat.

Adding KOH solution or solid to solid metabisulite could produce a lot of steam causing the mixture to splatter.

Use safety goggles or a face shield when working with strong bases or acids to prevent eye damage.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne
    Tangent... I remember the days when we used to have chemistry kits as kids. Anyone else remember those? Nowadays you'll never see anything remotely like that, not after McVey and not after 9/11.

Granted, as a kid (during my pyro era) I would mix all of the chemicals together just for fun.
    Yes, but McVeigh's method was so simple any farm boy who's ever seen a fertilizer fire could reproduce it.

What are we going to do? Go back to fertilizing with fish heads and manure? The country would starve.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Yes, but McVeigh's method was so simple any farm boy who's ever seen a fertilizer fire could reproduce it.

What are we going to do? Go back to fertilizing with fish heads and manure? The country would starve.
    Yeah well my point was that due to past occurrences it's now more difficult to get basic chemicals.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post

Yeah well my point was that due to past occurrences it's now more difficult to get basic chemicals.
    I see. You are right about that.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Dissolve the metabisulfite in water then add the KOH solid gradually with stirring so as not to generate too much heat.

Adding KOH solution or solid to solid metabisulite could produce a lot of steam causing the mixture to splatter.

Use safety goggles or a face shield when working with strong bases or acids to prevent eye damage.

I haven't had splatter issues at all, but yes a lot of heat, so I was wondering if the heat affects the sulphite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I haven't had splatter issues at all, but yes a lot of heat, so I was wondering if the heat affects the sulphite.
    No, you cannot get past 100 C while there is water present. To decompose the sulfite you would have to get much hotter than this.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Im sure Ive done it slowly and kept temps down and had no undissolved matter... guess I will try again, perhaps I will try drying it out to powder too

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin