Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,827   Online: 742

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Automating agitation!!!!

Hello,

I have just started to get back into fibre based printing but sadly I am finding the long agitation times in the development tray rather difficult with my arthritis.

Does anyone know of a device that will rock/agitate a dev tray or some other Heath Robinson type contraption that would help me.

Thanks,

Ant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by afirmin View Post
    Does anyone know of a device that will rock/agitate a dev tray or some other Heath Robinson type contraption that would help me.
    Take a look at this Edwards Engineered Products tray rocker setup. Maybe this would help?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Ken,

Thanks for the quick response. That was exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

A tad on the expensive side though and not sure whether (a) its electrically compatible here in the UK, and (b) is wife compatible for such a major modification to the kitchen!!

Cheers,

Ant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rube Goldberg had all kinds of stuff like that in the 1950's - simple gravity driven.

There must be a site somwhere for that? I think Popular Mechanics put out several books with contraptions like that, it was basically a weight and an excenter adapted to each situation. Just give it a thought!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just use a print drum on a rotary base. Let it agitate for you.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ant,

No need to shout (headline).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Look on eBay for one of these rocker agitaters. When labs have these, they seem to have many and they do show up cheaply.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I built a contraption similar to the tray rocker mentioned above. I bought a mirror ball motor (I think I got it from Surplus Shed). I mounted the motor on the wall and attached a round, wooden washer on the front. The wooden washer was drilled from a 1/2 inch thick piece of lumber and is 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Near the edge of the washer, I attached a thin bolt with an over sized spacer around it. I attached a flexible cable (the thin kind that comes in kits to hang pictures.) I tape that to the tray to be agitated. When I turn the motor on, the wooden wheel spins and the tray is lifted about 1/2 inch when the bolt is at the top of its cycle. I basically used parts I had on hand--except for the motor. The tray is lifted 3 times a minute. I think I have about thirty dollars invested in the contraption. I built it because I do a lot of platinum prints, which require 15 to 20 minutes of rocking to clear. Rue Goldberg in spirit, but it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Just use a print drum on a rotary base. Let it agitate for you.
    Either that or develop prints during earthquates.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There are instructions for making one in Kodak's Dye Transfer manual. You can look it up on google as a .pdf
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin