Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 641

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Minimal Agitation using a "slosher" tray

I just ordered one of these trays from Photographers' Formulary.

http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...=0&Search=tray

I guess that I should have asked first, but it should work for Minimal Agitation using Pyrocat-HD shouldn't it?

Thanks,

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tray development and minimal, extreme minimal, semi-stand and stand development were discussed in the AZO forum at some depth. The conclusion is that these procedures work best when the film is allowed to stay vertical (e.g. in tubes or drums or tanks) during the non-agitation periods. Adjacency effects (i.e. increased apparent sharpness) does not get as pronounced when the film lays flat. I believe that adverse artifacts may occur as well.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will work fine with minimal agitation or with semi-stand agitation using Pyrocat-HD. That is the way I do it.

I have an 8x10 slosher from PF and 5x7 and 4x5 sloshers from Summitek.

I wish Summitek made an 8x10 (they are less expensive than the PF slosher and the quality is equal).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Guys!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Thanks Guys!
    Hahahaha. Sorry about that Jim. You have to ready the AZO forum thread on this, or better yet, give it try yourself and see how it goes. I believe you did order some tubes from the Mike bulk purchase? If so, here is a perfect opportunity to compare tube versus tray using minimal agitation.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Tray development and minimal, extreme minimal, semi-stand and stand development were discussed in the AZO forum at some depth. The conclusion is that these procedures work best when the film is allowed to stay vertical (e.g. in tubes or drums or tanks) during the non-agitation periods. Adjacency effects (i.e. increased apparent sharpness) does not get as pronounced when the film lays flat. I believe that adverse artifacts may occur as well.
    Francesco and Jim, I think the apparent difference of opinion is caused by the distinction between tray processing and slosher processing. The PF and Summitek sloshers are very smooth surfaced and vented (sides, corners and bottom) trays within trays.

I have done comparison tests with tanks and sloshers and the results were virtually identical. With 8x10 and semi-stand development, my preference is the slosher.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Hahahaha. Sorry about that Jim. You have to ready the AZO forum thread on this, or better yet, give it try yourself and see how it goes. I believe you did order some tubes from the Mike bulk purchase? If so, here is a perfect opportunity to compare tube versus tray using minimal agitation.
    Francesco,

You are correct! I did order some of those tubes from Mike. (Thanks Mike)

As always it is best to do your own testing on this sort of thing. What works for one does not always work for others.

I was just wanting to hear some opinions of others who have tried it before.

Thanks again!!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Francesco and Jim, I think the apparent difference of opinion is caused by the distinction between tray processing and slosher processing. The PF and Summitek sloshers are very smooth surfaced and vented (sides, corners and bottom) trays within trays.

I have done comparison tests with tanks and sloshers and the results were virtually identical. With 8x10 and semi-stand development, my preference is the slosher.
    Thanks Tom!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin