Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 641
      
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Jim Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    885
    Images
    16

    Minimal Agitation using a "slosher" tray

    I just ordered one of these trays from Photographers' Formulary.

    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...=0&Search=tray

    I guess that I should have asked first, but it should work for Minimal Agitation using Pyrocat-HD shouldn't it?

    Thanks,

    Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1
    Tray development and minimal, extreme minimal, semi-stand and stand development were discussed in the AZO forum at some depth. The conclusion is that these procedures work best when the film is allowed to stay vertical (e.g. in tubes or drums or tanks) during the non-agitation periods. Adjacency effects (i.e. increased apparent sharpness) does not get as pronounced when the film lays flat. I believe that adverse artifacts may occur as well.
    Francesco

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    It will work fine with minimal agitation or with semi-stand agitation using Pyrocat-HD. That is the way I do it.

    I have an 8x10 slosher from PF and 5x7 and 4x5 sloshers from Summitek.

    I wish Summitek made an 8x10 (they are less expensive than the PF slosher and the quality is equal).
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  4. #4
    Jim Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    885
    Images
    16
    Thanks Guys!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Thanks Guys!
    Hahahaha. Sorry about that Jim. You have to ready the AZO forum thread on this, or better yet, give it try yourself and see how it goes. I believe you did order some tubes from the Mike bulk purchase? If so, here is a perfect opportunity to compare tube versus tray using minimal agitation.
    Francesco

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Tray development and minimal, extreme minimal, semi-stand and stand development were discussed in the AZO forum at some depth. The conclusion is that these procedures work best when the film is allowed to stay vertical (e.g. in tubes or drums or tanks) during the non-agitation periods. Adjacency effects (i.e. increased apparent sharpness) does not get as pronounced when the film lays flat. I believe that adverse artifacts may occur as well.
    Francesco and Jim, I think the apparent difference of opinion is caused by the distinction between tray processing and slosher processing. The PF and Summitek sloshers are very smooth surfaced and vented (sides, corners and bottom) trays within trays.

    I have done comparison tests with tanks and sloshers and the results were virtually identical. With 8x10 and semi-stand development, my preference is the slosher.
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  7. #7
    Jim Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    885
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Hahahaha. Sorry about that Jim. You have to ready the AZO forum thread on this, or better yet, give it try yourself and see how it goes. I believe you did order some tubes from the Mike bulk purchase? If so, here is a perfect opportunity to compare tube versus tray using minimal agitation.
    Francesco,

    You are correct! I did order some of those tubes from Mike. (Thanks Mike)

    As always it is best to do your own testing on this sort of thing. What works for one does not always work for others.

    I was just wanting to hear some opinions of others who have tried it before.

    Thanks again!!

    Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

  8. #8
    Jim Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    885
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Francesco and Jim, I think the apparent difference of opinion is caused by the distinction between tray processing and slosher processing. The PF and Summitek sloshers are very smooth surfaced and vented (sides, corners and bottom) trays within trays.

    I have done comparison tests with tanks and sloshers and the results were virtually identical. With 8x10 and semi-stand development, my preference is the slosher.
    Thanks Tom!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin