Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,274   Online: 874

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What would cause this?

First, I'm concerned with the repeating lines, not the light leaks
    Next, this is evident on the negative, not due to any scanner problems.

And I've got this happening to some degree on two rolls of film (both shot in my Holga) to varying degrees. I'm posting the most severe sample...

So, could be the something with the camera, or do you think I'm messing up something during the developing?

I've not had these problems before and I have two more rolls to develop and would love some input before I get started on them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bjorn

P.S.: Mods, if this is the wrong place to ask this I apologize, I wasn't sure if this should be under cameras or film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Double exposure.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sirius Glass: Thanks but I've got similar marks even on spots of film never exposed, though only on one edge of the film. So I don't think that's the answer of the pattern...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It certainly looks like some kind of double exposure, even if you say it isn't.

You say there is a light leak. Could it be light piping through the edge of the sprocket holes?
    How about internal reflections inside the camera?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

JJB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No sprocket holes on 120 film. You weren't using 35mm in there, were you?

They don't look large enough to have been caused by a light leak as you were winding the film, unless this is a crop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckyll View Post

... So, could be the something with the camera, or do you think I'm messing up something during the developing?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Bjorn

Well...it is a Holga, after all!

Why complain?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it doesn't look like a regular Holga-type light leak, and even if this particular image is a double exposure (which might explain the strange vertical banding) that doesn't explain why it is happening on other images. Maybe a leak through the red window at the back? Or something in the way that it's being wound? Do you unload the film in the dark (I find I have to in order to keep light leaks to a minimum due to rolls not being tightly wound enough). How well do you tape up the Holga when you are shooting with it? The strong light at the corners might suggest a problem with the back and how secure it is to the camera. On one of my holgas, even when it is completely taped up to allow no light leaks whatsoever, it still gets them (!).

It would be great if you could try shooting with another Holga to see if the problem lies with the camera or the user. ;-)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the risk of sending this to the Soapbox, Witchcraft?

Was the film stored on top of a dental X-ray machine?

It really does look like a double exposure of some sort.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning towards 'witchcraft'.

I'm uploading a different example, you can see it's clearly only at the top of this image. Which is why I'm going with "it's not double exposure"

Also, this phenomenon is present _outside_ of the image, i.e. it looks like the image 'bled over' onto the space between the photos. Very odd.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The film has been exposed to something, that's for sure.
    Matt may be right. It could have been an X-ray machine of some sort.

I assume those pictures weren't taken in Chernobyl, were they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin