Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,632   Online: 680

Images

Two tray development w/graded paper

I've always wanted to try graded paper, but was put off by the idea of having to stock several different grades.

On the Internet, I stumbled across a photographer who said that for years he had used a grade 3 paper only, but could get grades 1-1/2 - 4 by using two tray development. How is this done?
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've heard of a few different ways. The one I am most familiar with is using two different developers. Ansel talks about using Dektol and Selectol Soft in two different trays. The amount of time in each tray can be used to control contrast. Some of the Pyro, Azo, Amidol guys here could also tell you about using Amidol and a water bath. I believe they can control contrast to some degree by varying the time spent in each tray as well. However, others can probably tell you more about Amidol and a water bath than I can.
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    I've always wanted to try graded paper, but was put off by the idea of having to stock several different grades.

On the Internet, I stumbled across a photographer who said that for years he had used a grade 3 paper only, but could get grades 1-1/2 - 4 by using two tray development. How is this done?
    Doug

If you look in the articles section I've posted my method of two bath development which describes the method. If you've any problems or have any questions PM me and I'll get back to you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Les,

I didn't even know that you had posted that article. Heck, I didn't even know that APUG had articles. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Now I have several new articles to read. Yeehaaaw!

--Phil
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    I've always wanted to try graded paper...
    Feel free to knock yourself out, but I'll tell you that having printed half my existing 500 8x10 negatives on graded paper from 1990 to 1997, I then found split filter printing with Kodak Polymax Fine Art. I have since gone back and re-printed my best prints on multigrade. None of the single grade prints (most on Elite or Ilford) could compare to the PMFA prints. I have replaced them all in my porfolios.

That said, I will plug Selectol Soft (1-1/2 min) followed by (this is important) Dektol for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes (depending upon the "grade" you want). Be aware that Selectol Soft warms the print noticeably. SS/Dektol tones nicely in Selenium.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin