Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,741   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for noticing the error in the formula I posted. The amount of TEA in the formula should be 120 ml, not 12. The Photographers' Formulary formula is slightly different. As posted on their website, it is:

Metol 17.8 g
    Oxalic Acid 1.7 g
    Potassium Metabisulfite 4.3 g
    Sodium Sulfite 140.0 g
    Pyrogallic Acid (Pyro) 51.2 g
    Triethanolamine 133 ml
    Water to 4 liters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK one more question : (I guess it is too late for you to go back and edit the formula, false formulas on the net is annoying, it was dangerous, when I was discussing reloading ammunition and someone posted wrong type of powder...)

But these two formulas, the3 last and the revised first : will all the ingredients dissolve on the TEA, and will this be like a sticky goo, referred to elsewhere? This should store *forever* in a closed bottle, most likely?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Revised formula

Pyro-triethanolamine film developer
    Oxalic acid 1.5 g
    Potassium metabisulfite 3.9 g
    Pyrogallol 46 g
    Metol 16 g
    Sodium sulfite 116 g
    Triethanloamine 120 ml

Water to make 4000 ml

Dilute 1:1 for use.
    Develop Tri-X 5-1/2 minutes

Triethanolamine is an alkali accelerator:
    http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00QbGz
    It will not,in absence of water, dissolve the ionic sulfur groups in metol,metabisulfite or sulfite.
    Oxalic acid has been tried to coat powders to improve their stability,IDK if that is its purpose here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TEA is a fair bit more liquid when warmed. I set it in a bowl of hot water to pour in the winter here; it 'freezes' solid below 20C I think I recall.
    my real name, imagine that.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two questions...
    1. Since the two formulas presented here are in different order, what is the correct sequence for what gets added when?
    2. NWorth's version looks essentially a tiny bit more concentrated than Erik's. The ratios are not constant, but the general drift is that they should act much the same. Are they from a common "ancestor" formula?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that all formulas in this thread maybe incorrect. I found next formula for this developer here

Metol 17.8 grams
    Oxalic Acid 1.7 grams
    Potassium Metabisulfite 4.3 grams
    Sodium Sulfite 140.0 grams
    Pyro 51.2 grams
    Triethanolamine 133 ml
    Water to make 2 gallons

2 gallons = 7.57l, so we can calculate amount for 1l

Metol 2.4 grams
    Oxalic Acid 0.23 grams
    Potassium Metabisulfite 0.6 grams
    Sodium Sulfite 19 grams
    Pyro 6.8 grams
    Triethanolamine 18 ml
    Water to make 1l

still don't understand why we need Oxalic Acid in formula. pH buffer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I suspect the large amount of sodium sulfite prevents staining. I don't remember if it tans (hardens) the emulsion or not. I'd give it a try again if I weren't happy with what I'm doing now. Maybe I will anyway.
    juan
    You are correct this is NOT a staining developer.

The TEA raises the pH of the solution to allow the developinjg agents to work. It also acts as a mild silver halide solvent to provide finer grain. Agfa made Studional (Rodinal Special) which was also based on TEA. This was a good developer which never really caught on in the US.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-05-2012 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin