Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,686   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PYRO-TRIETHANOLAMINE DEV FROM PF ?

Hi,
    Some of you use this dev ?
    How far can you go with replenishment ?
    Any tips ?
    G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used it about 25-years ago. It works - I found it did not provide full film speed, but I didn't know as much then as I do now, so the problem could have been me. I used a gallon with replenishment for well more than a year.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any leads on data and early development?=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An interseting idea. I use TEA in home mixed colour developers like for RA-4 that are quite alkaline. PMK is great, yes a bit of speed loss, but getting the B bath to dissulve all of the alkali is something I have never conquered. TEA is in a imilar pH range, but is a liquid.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am getting deep tank to process a lot of film in a minimum of time. And this Pyro formula trickles me.
    If I can replenish and keep going it's great. I'm not worried for the loss of speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used this developer some years ago. It is excellent. True, it does not provide the film speed that D-76 does, but the penalty is quite small. One of the principal characteristics of Pyro-TEA developer is its long life. If kept from air, the concentrate will last for years. (Air reduces its life a lot.) It has very high capacity in working solution. I didn't try replenishment, but making up the volume with concentrate would probably work until the air got to the solution. Note that this is a non-staining pyro developer.

Pyro-triethanolamine film developer
    Oxalic acid 1.5 g
    Potassium metabisulfite 3.9 g
    Pyrogallol 46 g
    Metol 16 g
    Sodium sulfite 116 g
    Triethanloamine 12 ml
    WTM 4 l
    Dilute 1:1 for use. Develop Tri-X 5-1/2 minutes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that's what I did - made up the volume with concentrate. As I recall, this was a formula used in the newspaper business where lots of film needed to be processed rather quickly. IIRC, Paul Farber wrote an article in the early 80s about the developer and convinced PF to make up kits.

I suspect the large amount of sodium sulfite prevents staining. I don't remember if it tans (hardens) the emulsion or not. I'd give it a try again if I weren't happy with what I'm doing now. Maybe I will anyway.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a question here: what is the point of the TEA, given the small volume, compared to the large volume of water?
    4 Litres of water will surely contain enough dissolved oxygen to oxidize anything in the liquid?

Also 12ml fluid should be way below what is necessary to dissolve all those chemicals??

(I'm new to this developer, never gave this a thought before)

EP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the keys to DIY developer mixing stock solutions that keep well is to take your distilled or reverse osmisis filtered water, and boil it in a good sized nearly full stainless steel pot with a lid that fits well before you use it to mix the chemistry. I boil gently for at least 10 minutes, and then turn off the heat and let it cool (usually overnight) without removing the lid. I decant into 4L glass jugs, and keep it on hand as the need to mix arises.

The boiling drives off a reasonable amount of the dissolved gasses.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK boiling will drive off gases that start dissipating in the minute the heat is turned off.

Like for instance one idea to keep oxygen off is using a common siphon (remember them?) fill it with CO2 gas DRY, and use thw valve to fill the bottle(s) with heavier than air CO2 gas, thereby keeping oxygen out of the bottle.

BUT! CO2 absorbs fairly quickly into solution and will alter pH in solutions that are close to neutral..... so its give and take.

My question is : what was just 12 ml of TEA supposed to do in a massive solution with 4 liter of water (4000 ml) that sucks up all oxigen it comes in contact with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin