Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,113   Online: 841

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I buy 2 pounds of Glycin when I order it and it keeps spectacularly in the freezer, stays very light in color and I can't see any ill effects..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many years ago certain developing agents like glycin came with a small cloth sachet containing potassium bisulfite which acted as an oxygen scavenger in the bottle. This worked quite well, don't know why they don't do it today.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to be digging this up, but would a sachet of sodium sulphite do the same job of being an oxygen scavenger as potassium bisulphite, for the dry glycin? Any risk of a reaction?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not sceintific, and is more dilute than the question, but I have mixed 130 from scratch, from 2 year old from the freezer glass glycin nitrogen blanketted storage jar.
    I then dilute it 1:2 for use.
    I mix stock solutions and dilute developers I want to keep around with reverse osmosis filtered water that has previously been boiled in a covered stainless stel pot to drive off the dissolved gases.

I then kept the 1:2 mix of 130 it in a PET plastic jug under the sink in my temperature stable and mostly dark basement darkroom, after the initial use, on perhaps 6-8 8x10's of fb paper.

I tried it 2 years after the inital mixing at 1:2, and while it was closer to strong coffee colour, as opposed to it starting tea colour, it still devleoped a nice warm toned image on the 4-5 8x10's of fb I was working with.

I warmed it in the microwave before using it after the 2 year sit to get it above 72F. I find glycin very inactive at 68F.

It went back into the storage jug. I have not been back to it for a while, but it is still there. I think of it as the energizer rabbit of paper deevlopers.

I intend to compare it to fresh 130 some day, but have yet to get around to it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansco 130 has a reputation for long life as a stock solution, but I have had erratic results. In general, my experience is that it lasts only about 4 or 5 months when prepared with fresh glycin. But I have had it go bad in less than a month and also had it last 10 months. There may be some mechanism that causes deterioration aside from air, like some minor contaminant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin